Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Part of ellipses

I was looking at Valery's amazing hand held MP3 player or whatever.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=22693&page=2
    I just wanted to know how this part was made. It's an ellipse but it's top is cut off. When I tried to emulate it, it ended up as other than an ellipse.
    Also how do you make one side not feathered? I tried grouping it but this didn't work either.
    Hopefully, once you give me the answer for this, I will easily be able to emulate the whole of his artwork.

Anas
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Part of ellipses

Hi Anas,

If you look at the transparency for that ellipse you will see that Valery used linear and the 100% transparency is where the unfeathered line appears.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Another way to do this is to use a shape, such as a rectangle, to trim off the end of the ellipse. Then rotate the ellipse and add feathering with the feathering slider at the top right area of the Infobar.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellipse.gif 
Views:	333 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	29381  

Quote Originally Posted by salaam View Post
    Also how do you make one side not feathered? I tried grouping it but this didn't work either.
    What I do is group it, clone it, feather the bottom one, then make the top one have a fading transparency (in the appropriate areas) so those bits are unfeathered. You may need some playing around to get this right.

Alex

I was looking at Valery's amazing hand held MP3 player or whatever.
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...t=22693&page=2
    I just wanted to know how this part was made. It's an ellipse but it's top is cut off. When I tried to emulate it, it ended up as other than an ellipse.
    Hopefully, once you give me the answer for this, I will easily be able to emulate the whole of his artwork.

Anas
    Video:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Soquili and Gary,
    So simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by abligh View Post
    What I do is group it, clone it, feather the bottom one, then make the top one have a fading transparency (in the appropriate areas) so those bits are unfeathered. You may need some playing around to get this right.
    Alex, I don't know how you get a similar effect with this method, it didn't work for me, what did I do wrong? Unless I make the top ellipse white.
    Thanks Xhris. I couldn't hear anything using Windows Media Player. I went to Youtube and the volume was OK there.

Anas

Question Re: Part of ellipses

Thanks Soquili and Gary,
    So simple.

Alex, I don't know how you get a similar effect with this method, it didn't work for me, what did I do wrong? Unless I make the top ellipse white.
    Thanks Xhris. I couldn't hear anything using Windows Media Player. I went to Youtube and the volume was OK there.

Anas
    youtube? sound? i recorded it without sound and only posted it on talkgraphics. I might make a dedicated YouTube Xara account at some point to ease the Talkgraphics bandwidth issues.
    Last edited by Xhris; 05 September 2006 at 11:46 AM.

Anas

Actually now that I look at the example you posted I would create a bitmap copy, true color + alpha, of the feathered ellipse, then use the rectangle to cut off the top.

Gary

Thanks Soquili and Gary,
    Like the attached.

Alex
    Attached Files Attached Files

I understand now Alex. You didn't mention chopping the top off first. I wanted the shape to keep the 'ellipse' like Valery's and Soquili's. Neat trick anyway.

Sorry Chris, I couldn't make anything out from your video, so I assumed I must have been missing some sound. Your video lasts for 27 seconds, the first 18 seconds shows only a blank page and an arrow, then a close-up, then the 2 main shapes, and that's it 3 frames?

Anas