Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Tutorials?...

I'm taking a grade 12 graphic design course at school right now, however we are in the middle of a 3d unit. I personally hate 3d design with a passion, I can not stand it. I asked my teacher if I could, for the rest of the course, stay in the 2d world. He agreed as long as I find myself some tutorials or projects to go through so he knows I'm actually learning something new from what I already know. We just have photoshop, flash, and dreamweaver at school to work with (other then the 3d programs)...does anyone have any ideas for me? We completed a Flash unit earlier, and I made a flash-based website.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and I'd love to hear what tutorials you guys have worked through
    IP

I'm taking a grade 12 graphic design course at school right now, however we are in the middle of a 3d unit. I personally hate 3d design with a passion, I can not stand it. I asked my teacher if I could, for the rest of the course, stay in the 2d world. He agreed as long as I find myself some tutorials or projects to go through so he knows I'm actually learning something new from what I already know. We just have photoshop, flash, and dreamweaver at school to work with (other then the 3d programs)...does anyone have any ideas for me? We completed a Flash unit earlier, and I made a flash-based website.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and I'd love to hear what tutorials you guys have worked through
    IP

check out Nortel Networks Kidz Online's 2d Animation unit for free video tutorials on Flash

www.kidzonline.org
    IP

Just came across Kidzonline and was going to give it a plug here but Arya has done it. I've played through the first few; really good.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    IP

I do not know if this will be a help or if you're looking for a structured course but most things Flash can be found at the following sites:

www.flashkit.com
    www.actionscript.org
    or look at the following sites;

Flash Kit (http://seminars.internet.com/flash/la01/)
    The Flash Kit conference, which is held in both Sydney, Australia, and Los Angeles, California, is not just about Flash. It's also about the future of interactivity on the Web. The conference features innovative speakers and workshops designed to encourage attendees to push the boundaries of online creativity.

ActionScript Toolbox (www.actionscript-toolbox.com)
    ActionScript Toolbox is dedicated almost exclusively to ActionScript (as opposed to more general Flash skills). Included are discussions and tutorials on variables, objects, and operators.

ActionScript.org (www.actionscript.org)
    This is an excellent online resource that covers all things Flash. You can interact with other users and developers, download FLA files and tutorials, and use the site's online ActionScript library, a resource generated by the user forums.

Artifact Interactive (www.artifactinteractive.com.au/dev/resources.html)
    Artifact Interactive is a multimedia development firm based in Adelaide, Australia. As dedicated members of the Flash community, it has posted a series of tutorials and files about Flash development for games and other kinds of interactive entertainment.

CoolHomePages.com (www.coolhomepages.com)
    Art is not created in a bubble, and Flash movies are no exception. It's important for everyone in the Flash community to get out on the Web and see what other developers and designers are doing with the application. CoolHomePages.com offers galleries of some of the most interesting and exciting Flash work around. It's a great source for ideas and inspiration to help push your own projects to new heights.

DoReMedia (www.doremedia.com)
    DoReMedia offers a wide array of Sound Families-audio components you can add to a Flash movie to create flexible, interactive music and sound-effect tracks with small file sizes. To learn more about creating interactive soundtracks with DoReMedia Sound Families, see Hands On 6, "Creating Dynamic Soundtracks with DoReMedia Sound Families."

ExtremeFlash (www.extremeflash.com)
    Although it's not nearly as comprehensive or extensive as Flash Kit, ExtremeFlash features a moderate number of tutorials.

The Flash Academy (www.enetserve.com/tutorials)
    The Flash Academy site features Flash tutorials, examples, forums, news, and product reviews.

Flash Kit (www.flashkit.com)
    Flash Kit is arguably one of the best Flash resources on the Web. It features extensive tutorials, open-source FLA files, several excellent discussion boards, news, product reviews, professional commentary, and classified ads.

FlashChallenge (www.flashchallenge.com)
    Looking for inspiration and fresh ideas? FlashChallenge lists some of the best Flash sites on the Web. Here you can see who's hot in the Flash community and rate the sites you think are best.

Flashcomponents.net (www.flashcomponents.net)
    This is your source for all things related to Components. The site includes a bevy of downloadable Flash MX Components, as well as tutorials for creating and distributing Components.

FlashGuru (www.flashguru.co.uk)
    FlashGuru is a resource of resources. It contains tons of information about ActionScript and a seemingly endless list of links to other Flash-based sites, sources of inspiration, and information.

Flashmagazine (www.flashmagazine.com)
    Dedicated strictly to Flash, Flashmagazine features topical, in-depth articles, tutorials, and news.

FlashPlanet (www.flashplanet.com)
    Although not as extensive as Flash Kit, FlashPlanet boasts tutorials, open-source FLA files, news, articles, and galleries.

Kirupa.com (www.kirupa.com)
    Named after its creator, Kirupa Chinnathambi, this site features Flash news, downloads, tutorials, and forums. It also includes resources for Flash-related products such as Swift 3D, Swish, and Flix.

The Lab of Dr. Helmut von Flashenstein (www.vonflashenstein.com)
    Flash MX Savvy's official website where Helmut von Flashenstein, the mad scientist, and his faithful lab assistant Müvie Klip create all manner of Flash oddities.

Moock.org (www.moock.org)
    Colin Moock is one of the most proficient ActionScript gurus in the world. His site features enormously helpful tutorials and technical notes.

OpenSWF.org (www.openswf.org)
    This is one of the best sources of information for the Flash file format. Founded by Troy M. Gilbert, the site contains file format specifications, sample code, links to third-party tools, and more. You can find documentation, links, and tutorials, as well as other information concerning the SWF format.

Pope de Flash (www.popedeflash.com)
    Pope de Flash is one of the leading sites for Flash and 3D. You'll find some useful tutorials, highly innovative and interesting open-source Flash/3D files, an extensive community of Flash/3D creators, articles, news, promotions, and the Hit List (the best of the best in Flash/3D).

Proflasher.com (www.proflasher.com)
    This site features tutorials that range from beginning to advanced. The most interesting aspect of this site is that all its tutorials are viewlets, a Java-based (in other words, no plug-in required) technology that creates small, animated movies.

Robertpenner.com (www.robertpenner.com)
    Robert Penner is a freelance Flash developer from Vancouver, Canada. His site offers a great selection of websites, animations, ActionScript-intensive Flash experiments, and news about the Flash community.

SoundShopper.com (www.soundshopper.com)
    This site offers a wide range of music clips, loops, sound effects, and other audio elements for your Flash productions. You can audition and purchase any of these royalty-free sounds directly from the website.

Ultrashock.com (www.ultrashock.com)
    One of the most comprehensive resource sites on the Web, Ultrashock.com has it all: tutorials, user forums, downloadable FLA files, articles, games, cartoons, and on and on.

Sorry about the length of the list but there are so many Flash sites on the web so if you did a search you will be overwhelmed with your results. These sites I have found contain what i am looking for which might be different from your most structured perspective. Hope this is enough to get you looking.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

if non of the above help.
    Try www.tutorialfind.com
    IP