Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default LX 0.7 Limited number of fonts?

Hi,
    I'm new to Xara and is overwhelmed by its power, even though it's only a beta version. However, there is one thing that really troubles me, on my font drop down there are only about 10 fonts, including essential ones like Times and Tahoma and that's it, but under X I have much more installed than that, ex., GIMP shows the correct number of fonts.
    So i'm wondering if it's been configurated incorrectly, or there are only these many fonts at the moment?
    I'm using Gentoo and autopackaged xaralx (svn src didn't compile).
    Thanks for any input!

Regards,

PQ

----------
    UPDATE:

Problem solved.
    I had a section in fonts.conf that instructs a font prepend with strong binding. I didn't realize that this killed all other fonts in the system.
    Not a bug from Xara! YEY!

Regards,

PQ
    Last edited by pmouse; 04 September 2006 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Updated
    IP

Default Re: LX 0.7 Limited number of fonts?

Quote Originally Posted by pmouse View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new to Xara and is overwhelmed by its power, even though it's only a beta version. However, there is one thing that really troubles me, on my font drop down there are only about 10 fonts, including essential ones like Times and Tahoma and that's it, but under X I have much more installed than that, ex., GIMP shows the correct number of fonts.
    So i'm wondering if it's been configurated incorrectly, or there are only these many fonts at the moment?
    I'm using Gentoo and autopackaged xaralx (svn src didn't compile).
    Thanks for any input!

Regards,

PQ
    Xtreme will only list vector fonts (not bitmap fonts); as it needs to render the font outlines itself (so they can have all sorts of effects on them) bitmap fonts aren't much use. Xtreme will also list the font families only (so Times New Roman as one entry, as opposed to separate entries for bold and italic etc.). Beyond that, I don't think there are too many limitations. Can you give an example of a font that isn't listed (and what kind of font it is)? Do you see more fonts in (say) OpenOffice?

Alex
    IP

Thanks for the reply!

I've investigated this issue further, I've discovered that under OO Writer, all fonts show up and function correctly. However, if I have some fonts selected for the current text (ex., Parchment), and then if I try to change that font, OO Writer crashes without a message.

Under GIMP, all fonts show up, but some of them simply doesn't do anything. ex., the Parchment font is displayed as normal text (sans serif i think)

Under Xara, very limited number of fonts show up, but all of them function.
    IP

The same Font questions are discussed in the Scribus (a Open Source DTP package for Unix/Linux/Mac OS X/Windows) documentation:

Fonts are often where the trouble starts and often ends in page layout. They are in my experience one of the leading troubles in pre-press in general and one of the sources of constant questions on the mailing list and IRC. A rough guess is 50% of the bug reports which are font related are problems with the fonts themselves. A typical question or complaint on IRC is: "Scribus won't use font X, but application blah and blahblah use it just fine. Why is this?"
    (source: Scribus online documentation)

You'll find the answer of the open question, if you read the very informative background information in the chapter "Fonts in Depth".

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Well as you can see in the screenshot, I got my fonts from the windows installation. They should be alright?
    IP

Hi,

It seems that the problem lies in the Chinese fonts I've installed (simsun.ttf). Does Xara allows a certain cache size of fonts? Since that one font is about 10Megs in size.

Update:

The font "Tahoma" also causes this problem. When installed, it prevents XaraLX from loading the rest of the fonts.

Update 2:

After lots of experiments, I've found out that when I have Tahoma.ttf or SimSun.ttc anywhere under /usr/share/fonts directory (i.e., installed on the system). Then Xara will only show 15 fonts. When I remove them, all fonts show up. This has nothing to do with the size of the font, since I also have Simhei.ttf installed, which is about the same size as SimSun.ttc.

I'm wondering what makes these two fonts unique such that they cause a problem with Xara?

Regards,

PQ
    Last edited by pmouse; 04 September 2006 at 03:05 AM.
    IP

UPDATE:

Problem solved.
    I had a section in fonts.conf that instructs a font prepend with strong binding. I didn't realize that this killed all other fonts in the system.
    Not a bug from Xara! YEY!

Regards,

PQ
    IP