Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Best Linux distribution for Xara Xtreme LX?

Which Linux distribution could you guys recommended for running Xara Xtreme LX? How about Kubuntu or Ubuntu? Or SuSE? Both of these distros seem very professional. Will they allow hassle-free installation? And what additional libraries may I need to download?

What problems should I be aware of?

Thanks.
    IP

Default Re: Best Linux distribution for Xara Xtreme LX?

I've tested Xara Xtreme for Linux under Open SuSE 10.0 and under Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop. Xara Xtreme for Linux runs without problems under these two Linux distributions. If you use the Autopackage Archive, there is no additional software necessary - as far as I remember (perhaps it's necessary to install "Image Magick", but on my system "Image Magick" was already installed).

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by vytis View Post
    Which Linux distribution could you guys recommended for running Xara Xtreme LX? How about Kubuntu or Ubuntu? Or SuSE? Both of these distros seem very professional. Will they allow hassle-free installation? And what additional libraries may I need to download?

Thanks.
    I've been running Xara LX on both a 32-bit and 64-bit AMD set of boxes, using autopackage to install without a hitch. None. I use Fedora Core 5 but all this is true of FC4 also, both so easy to keep updated with all the latest releases through yum or yum extended. I use Gnome as my desktop manager, not KDE. Gnome is faster, having less shared libraries to check. FC5 just about gets it all together, FC6 would do it for me.

frank
    IP

Wish I could help. I've been playing with knoppix for the last 6 months, have being playing with linux in general for about 6 or 7 years and still don't feel very confortable with Linux in general but hoping to someday. Have the boxed version of Suse that I am going to install in a week or so hopefully and then I can proudly join you computer nerds (don't I wish). So far, in 10 years, in a futile effort to tell Bill G. to kiss my arse I have tried a very early version of Red Hat, two versions of Mandrake, Knoppix, now a newer version of Knoppix, a c.d. with ubuntu, and my store bought version of Suse, which hopefully will be the last. Someday, maybe soon, probably not, I really hope I can join you adults in an intelligent converstation on this thread but personally I'm not holding my breath........frank
    .............frank
    IP

Hi Vytis,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I use Debian and both Kubuntu and Ubuntu are based on the Debian distribution. I did not have to install any additional libraries to use the AutoPackage releases of Xara Xtreme for Linux.

I don't think you would have any problems with any of the current Linux distributions.

I tried installing Xara Xtreme LX on an old version (7.1) of Red Hat and it reported it needed a new version of some libraries. Red Hat 7.1 is about 6 or 7 years old.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks.
    We have an impressively inconsistency on what the developers run here. I run Ubuntu, but I know for a fact there are people running Gentoo, SUSE, and Fedora. If you use the package for the distro concerned (0.7 has just gone into Ubuntu Edgy) you should not need to download any additional libraries - your package manager should do it for you.

Alex
    IP

Which Linux distribution could you guys recommended for running Xara Xtreme LX?
    As you may have noticed you will probably get as many answers to this question as there are posts in this thread (I like Debian). That being said I would recommend Ubuntu if you don't have much Linux experience. The recent versions I have played with are pretty slick and as Alex mentioned xaralx is distributed by Ubuntu so It Just Works(tm).
    Jed
    IP

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it. You've assured me that both of these attractive distros (Ubuntu and SuSE) are suitable for Xara. I'm planning on dual-booting my PC to do ALL of my graphic / web design work with Xara under Linux. Seems like now is the perfect time.

Cheers!
    IP

...I'm planning on dual-booting my PC to do ALL of my graphic / web design work with Xara under Linux. Seems like now is the perfect time.
    But dont forget save your work often ! Its only 0.7 now.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by
    IP

"Seagull : Wish I could help. I've been playing with knoppix for the last 6 months"
    Knoppix might be a little too difficult at times. Had it installed, works good but some glitch gets you stuck. Watch for this years release. Xandros is stable but limited what you can install (eventually you can find most you need in user provided repositories) Currently I found Mepis 6 to work perfect. Installed a heap of progs and evrerything works, including Xara .
    IP