Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: xara lx already in a distri?

Thanks for your quick and helpful answers!
    I belive slacks is a very good tip and I will try it next time. Thats wonderful, thanks for your help!
    I'm sure its no problem to burn new cd's after some weeks with a newer version of xara.
    IP

No, avcourse
    you just need to install and save like module file new Xara version
    after that you must add module file in modules folder on iso image and again to burn it

Read on site
    you can create and bootable USB drive which is better for changes like this, saving settings, updated softwares, new installs etc, which is unavailable in live CD, all changes are temporary untill shutdown....
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com
    IP

Talking Re: xara lx already in a distri?

Xara Xtreme for Linux is a standard package in Ubuntu Edgy Eft (6.10) to be released this week. See: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XaraXtreme
    IP

Thanks for your good ideas.
    The idea taking an usb stick for installing is also not bad.
    I believe I will take a combination of installing a linux on the old computers and on the new laptops on harddisk. There I may install. And installing a linux on an usb stick on the new computers where I may not install anything on harddisk.
    And perhaps later the children can take a live linux on CD home for working at home with the programs. I believe unfortunately nobody will have linux on their computers at home.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    Does someone know if xaralx is already integrated in a linux distri? I mean if xara is on the cd. Espacially on a live linux cd.
    I shall teach children in graphics with an graphic program, but may not install a graphic program on their windows computers. So I probably must take a live linux cd. I want to use open office and later xara. But for that I need definitivly a live linux - I have no other idea.
    First I thought about "grafpup" but the page is down.
    Has someone an idea or does someone know about?
    I use MEPIS-6.0, which is installed from a LiveCD. It is based on Ubuntu.
    To my suprise I discovered that xara is installed by default in MEPIS!!
    Xara is also in the repository.
    IP

Default Re: Best Linux distribution for Xara Xtreme LX?

MEPIS-6.0, based on Ubuntu, comes as a LiveCD. It includes Xara.
    IP

PCLinuxOS, a clone of Mandriva by TexStar, is even better than Mandriva because TexStar polished it to perfection. I agree with you that for new refugees from Windows, PCLinuxOS makes an excellent choice. It certainly has the best maintenance control panel of any Linux OS. The latest version, 0.93-bigdaddy, uses the latest KDE, 3.5.5.

It has, IMO, two faults:
    1) There are only 5,000 apps in its repository, and
    2) using RPMBONE to try and install Mandrake 9.2 RPMs, the closest match, often results in dependency hell. (- you have libfoo-x. The app needs libfoo-y, and libfoo-y requires libbar-z. But, libbar-z requires libfoo-x!!!)

But, if all you are doing is email, surfing, office stuff using OpenOffice, database stuff using PostgreSQL, development stuff using KDevelop and/or QT4-Designer, without having to worry about viruses, popup ads, and black hat intruders then PCLinuxOS is for you.

Personally, I run MEPIS-6.0, which is more KDE than KUbuntu.
    IP

Works fine on Musix, which is a debian base, kde... had to download the additional package, then no difficulties at all... till app was opened... get a.... mailcap 91 error... click through, the app opens and all is well

will test a few more during the next few days and post the info...
    IP

Debian here as well, no problems
    IP

Hmmm, perhaps it would be a good idea to merge the following thread into this one we are in...

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=23846
    IP