Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting figures created in Matlab to Xara

I have been trying to use Xara to edit figures created in Matlab. I have tried to export these figures in a variety of vector formats (.eps, .ai, .svg) but Xara could only open figures exported in pixel formats. I am trying to find a way to export the files in vector format and use Xara.

Anyone has had success transferring vector-based figures created in Matlab to Xara? Please let me know any hint you may have. Thank you!
    IP

Default Re: Exporting figures created in Matlab to Xara

Quote Originally Posted by juanpedro View Post
    I have been trying to use Xara to edit figures created in Matlab. I have tried to export these figures in a variety of vector formats (.eps, .ai, .svg) but Xara could only open figures exported in pixel formats. I am trying to find a way to export the files in vector format and use Xara.

Anyone has had success transferring vector-based figures created in Matlab to Xara? Please let me know any hint you may have. Thank you!
    Every .ai file I've tried works. The .svg is good for only simple lines and curves, plus some fills; no text or inserted photos.

It's all coming, we just have to have patience.

frank
    IP

Thanks Frank,

The problem with the .ai files I create in Matlab is that there is always an artefact created in the graph. Specifically, if the graph is a half circle with convexity pointing up, xara will create an horizontal line joining the first to the last point. Afterwards, there is no simple way to get rid of that line since it now from a closed object.

As for .svg files created in Matlab (using the plot2svg function), I have had no success at all opening them...

I understand it is all coming together but I just wanted to check if people have had success with vector-based Matlab figures. I will be patient since I really like to work with Xara!

Thanks!
    IP

Thanks Frank,

The problem with the .ai files I create in Matlab is that there is always an artefact created in the graph. Specifically, if the graph is a half circle with convexity pointing up, xara will create an horizontal line joining the first to the last point. Afterwards, there is no simple way to get rid of that line since it now from a closed object.

As for .svg files created in Matlab (using the plot2svg function), I have had no success at all opening them...

Thanks!
    The SVG filter is experimental at the moment, but the AI filter should work right now. Please could you file a bug (including both the SVG and AI files, plus a bitmap export so we know what it's meant to look like) at
    http://bugzilla.xara.com/

It could of course be Matlab's AI export that is the problem, but we can at least have a look (and see whether Xtreme on Windows works OK).

Alex
    IP

Hello Alex,

I will file a bug report as suggested.

I tried the trial windows version of Xara and it had the same problem handling the .ai file created in Matlab. The Xara import filters would create extra line on the plot and create a clsed object. The same file would open fine in Adobe Illustrator. I could not, as you know, try the .svg file in Windows.

juan
    IP

Hello Alex,

I will file a bug report as suggested.

I tried the trial windows version of Xara and it had the same problem handling the .ai file created in Matlab. The Xara import filters would create extra line on the plot and create a clsed object. The same file would open fine in Adobe Illustrator. I could not, as you know, try the .svg file in Windows.

juan
    If it opens in Illustrator, and not on Xtreme (on Windows and Linux) we should be able to fix it. Especially if it happens in every matlab graph.

Alex
    IP