Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default from someone with no imagination

I am new to the group. I joined in the hopes of learning how people get their ideas. Do images just come to mind? Does another person's graphic, photo, etc. inspire you to an idea?

Clueless in Seattle [actually, just SE of Seattle]

Thanks!

Default Re: from someone with no imagination

Hi MaryBeau,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

I think everyone has their own answer to your question. I get inspiration from many of the other members. I also get ideas from just looking around and seeing things near me, or in the distance if I'm wearing my glasses

Sometimes an idea will just form in my mind as I'm daydreaming.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by MaryBeau View Post
    I am new to the group. I joined in the hopes of learning how people get their ideas. Do images just come to mind? Does another person's graphic, photo, etc. inspire you to an idea?
    Thanks!
    Hi Mary - it helps to think outside of any boxes .. apply a bit of lateral thinking.
    Association of random ideas can be inspiring.

I'm lucky - have this warped mind which sees humour in everything and automatically puts things together in an unlikely manner. Have a look around - no need to leave your desk.

One thing is certain you'll have on your desk is a mouse. So think mice and what comes to mind? Erm .. a mouse threatening a cat ... a mouse made out of cheese ... mousetraps .. (a giant mousetrap with a bottle of beer to catch some guy has been done) thinking of beer ... where does that take you? Drunken men ... 'man or mouse' ... gets you to a mouse with the head of a man or the other way about. Back to cheese .. and men. Cheesy feet> How about a foot made out of cheese? Heh! With a mouse nibbling at it? LOL!

Some guy once looked at a plane and said "What if, instead of fixed wings, we kept the plane still and made the wings move?" and came up with a helicopter.

Think differently and you'' come up with different ideas.

If any o' that is of some use, you're welcome.
    If it isn't ... well, you're welcome anyways ...

Quote Originally Posted by MaryBeau View Post

Thanks!
    Hi Beau Marie

If you ever find the answer make sure you send me a personal message first thing. Otherwise, I will just have to keep doing what I've always being doing since joining the forum, being a nuisance, annoying and bugging people and just being in general a pain in the arse. I figure you always have to go with your strengths which is what I have being doing, my menor in life has always, is and alway will be......"Gaston la Gaffe".....now I know you don't know who I'm talking about but, believe me, your better off for your ignorance. And don't forget to pm me when you find the answer......"Clueless all my life"......frank
    Last edited by Seagull; 29 August 2006 at 10:35 PM. Reason: emphasizing my cluelessness
    .............frank

Just about everyone here is influenced by other peoples work, photos, mags and all sorts of other things. You'll find if you have a look in a designers computer they will have picture and images from all over the place and if you could ask them they will say that they liked a part or the style of a drawing and its in there for future ideas. How many ads are you seeing at the moment with white floral shapes or rainbows or even mis-shaped cartoon characters just have a look at the large Coke bottle at the moment. You get ideas where ever you can!
    Design is thinking made visual.

Welcome MaryBeau,

I just visited your website, and I think you do have imagination.

To inspire yourself, get a photo of one of your dog and try to trace it. Try to color it, etc. Don't think there is only one way to do things.

Try some of the tutorials. Idea will come to you, I promise.

Regards,

Alan

Mary.Maybe you will recognise one of you dogs transposed to Trafalgar Square.Not a great example but some of the sort of things you can do with Xtreme.

Norman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nelson.gif 
Views:	203 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	29221  

All humans beings have been taught since childhood that they can't do that. To be an artist is learning to overcome that bad advice and not reprimanding yourself for it. There is nothing harmful in developing skill or in enjoying what the eye can see.

When you dream, the images are what your brain manufactures. When you daydream, the same sort of thing. It isn't that you don't have an imagination, it is that you need to stop being afraid to use it.

Who cares if someone criticizes your work, there are many other things far worse, and you know what you learn to get through it and how to blow it off. Some criticism is good as it points out things you missed or gives pointers how to correct a problem.

Then there is the criticism that rips at your very soul, the ego deflating kind. This sort of fear stifles creativity. Not saying that everyone will be as creative as the next person. But anything you do, you can learn to improve upon, from your observational skills to your hand eye coordination to your basic knowledge of how a program works, how to draw with a mouse vs. a tablet, what makes a good design, what colors go together. And then just forget the rules and draw what you like. Draw what you feel deeply about, or makes you laugh or cry or even what makes you angry.

Art is a form of communication. It is another way we get others to understand us. If art is just for a few people, then perhaps we will go back to grunting at each other.

Ugh!
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode

You are right, Sally.
    Also ... there can be art in every area of human endeavour.

You sum it all up briefly and eloquently. I rather ramble. Life is like underwear, blessed be the brief. More will read what they write.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode