Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Brushes and intersectings of lines?

I tried to search for the few questions, but couldn't find the answer... So, any idea why I cannot click the "Create brush" button to add new brush? Is this feature still to be implemented on Linux version or what?

Another problem conserns about the intersection of two lines. Lets say that I draw a circle. Then I draw freeformed curve, where start and end point are inside the circle, but the curve goes outside this circle. This way I get two intersection-points to circle. Now is there way to create intersection points to where these two lines (circle and freeformed line) collide? I'd like to cut out the part of circle between the curve, and then join intersection points of curve and the left-out part of circle then as one object...

Another example of this same problem: I draw two vertical lines, and one horizontal line which crosses both of these lines. Now I want to delete exactly the part which is between horizontal lines (from first intersection to another). How can I do this?
    IP

Default Re: Brushes and intersectings of lines?

Hi Reaktor,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

There is a Xara Xtreme LX forum where you can ask questions specific to the Linux version of Xtreme. http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Currently the "Create Brush" feature is not available in the Linux version. It is being worked on.

To answer you second question: Lines and shapes are different types of objects. A Line can be used to cut a shape or another line. It cannot be used to add to a shape.
    Refer to the attached image.

Your third question about removing the area between twovertical lines with a horizontal line also cannot be done because lines are incomplete paths and do not define an area that can be "removed". You can create a rectangle and then use a line to remove a portion of it.

If you can provide specifc examples of what you want to do, details of how to do it can be given.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lx-tut1.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	29122  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Reaktor View Post
    Another example of this same problem: I draw two vertical lines, and one horizontal line which crosses both of these lines. Now I want to delete exactly the part which is between horizontal lines (from first intersection to another). How can I do this?
    This is one way:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	h.png 
Views:	401 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	29126  
    IP

This post seems to have more relevance in the XtremeLX forum so I've moved it.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Thanks Egg. I didn't have the authority to move it here from the Xtreme forum.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Thanks for the answers. I wasn't quite sure if Linux -specific forum was meant for devopers and developing -specific threads, since description was little cryptic.

Soquili, you got my example right. I was just hoping to find a way to combine path of a circle and of line to one single path, and then color it. Too bad it ain't possible, even though shapes can be combined.

Also the line example is missing the point that putting breaking points doesn't create 'em in to the exact intersection points, but just close to where I want to put 'em. This problem is somewhat minor.

I'v been using Autocad for quite alot, and got used to these kind of advanced line-manipulation tools. I hope someone would implement these simple features some day

One more thing. Is there way to use specific kind of default stroke? Currently I'm only getting 1px thin line and I have to choose line type each time from line-gallery, even though I'd prefer using 8px wide feather tipped stroke or such? It's just slow choosing the preferences for each line time and time again.
    IP

In general, if you set any option (line color, fill color, line stroke, transparency, etc) with nothing selected, they become the new default options for newly created shapes.

Depending on what your configuation options are set to, Xara might prompt you every time you make such a change, to let you know that the setting you're choosing will be the default.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

For me the line weigth doesn't seem to be preserved. Everytime I start drawing new line the weigth changes back to 0.5px, which is kind of frustrating.

How about locking paths line weight? If I'm scaling box from 100x100px to 400x600px, line weight get larger (0.5px -> ~3px or so). Is there way to preserve the original weight?

Is it weight or weigth?
    IP

I tried to search for the few questions, but couldn't find the answer... So, any idea why I cannot click the "Create brush" button to add new brush? Is this feature still to be implemented on Linux version or what?
    Create Brush is not implemented right now. I'm hoping to fix that up before 0.8.

Alex
    IP

For me the line weigth doesn't seem to be preserved. Everytime I start drawing new line the weigth changes back to 0.5px, which is kind of frustrating.
    That's odd, it should work. I tested it out before I mentioned it to make sure that I wasn't hallucinating anything. Are you sure nothing was selected when you changed the weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaktor
    How about locking paths line weight? If I'm scaling box from 100x100px to 400x600px, line weight get larger (0.5px -> ~3px or so). Is there way to preserve the original weight?
    There is a button for this in the toolbar you see when the selector tool (the arrow) is active. This the bar that shows you the width/height/location of the selected item and whatnot.

On the far right of that bar is a control that has an arrow pointing at a line. Something like: "-> \" (hooray for ascii art!). By default it's pressed in. The tooltip for it is "Scale line widths". When that's disabled, lines stay the same thickness when you scale shapes. When it's enabled, the lines get thicker and thinner as you scale them, so that they keep the same relative size as they had when you drew them.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP