Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: pspimage

Default pspimage

I have a number of files with the extension of pspimage. They say they were created in Paint Shop Pro 9 but I cannot open them in that programme or any other that I have. 'this is not a valid paint shop pro image file' it says. What can I do to recover them?
    IP

Default Re: pspimage

Have you tried renaming file with .psp extention? or copying the file then pasting it, then saving it with whatever .extention?
    ALSO CHECK THE PROPERTIES OF THE FILE.
    Last edited by parahandy; 23 August 2006 at 06:16 PM. Reason: AFTERTHOUGHT
    IP

Yes, I have tried renaming without success and if cannot open I cannot copy! (copy from a right click menu on file name produces nothing). Properties show it is a paintshop pro 9 image.

If the psp programme copied in pspimage (which I believe was pretty similar to retaining all the layers in photoshop) it seems Corel should have an answer. As you can see I am a simple fellow but not completely daft or crazy. Someone must know the answer!
    IP

It is a strange state of affairs, can you post one of the files and see what we(the forum members )can do with it.
    IP

Windows properties reports all pspimage files on my drive as being a Paint Shop Pro X Image - no matter what version of PSP they were created in. It appears to tell you only what program is associated with the file extension .pspimage, not the actual file version. I have PSP versions 8 and 9 installed and chose old pspimage files to view properties so I know all of the files were not created in version X. I renamed a zip file extension to .pspimage and Windows properties still says it is a version X file. The files you have could be version X (10) files despite what Windows properties tells you and PSP9 can't open newer versions, only older version files.

You might try opening one of the files in notepad and read the very beginning text to see that is says "Paint Shop Pro Image File". You could have files that has been improperly renamed with a new extension, files that are not image formats at all, or they could be image formats your software doesn't recognize.

That's all I can think of to try right now other than upping one of the files and letting one of us have a look at them.
    IP

opened in word it shows as paint shop pro image.[IMG]c://my documents/ my pictures/ elche 2005/ducks-1.pspimage[/IMG]

I tried the disk again - the repair option. Still says 'invalid image'
    IP

Try opening the file in notepad, rather than a word processing program. I don't use Word but it appears it is placing a file link because of the path you listed, rather than opening the actual file. Looking at a pspimage file in a text reader, most of what you'll see will look like gibberish but the first few words will say Paint Shop Pro Image File if it is indeed a valid pspimage file.

Here's a tiny snippet from the first couple lines of a .pspimage file as an example. Note you can read the first portion easily, the rest is gibberish.

Paint Shop Pro Image File
      ~BK . . ú ú R@    `Þ   ~BK
     ~FL    ÿØÿà JFIF  [ [ ÿÀ  ú ú ÿÛ

If you see Paint Shop Pro Image File in the first line of the file, try to upload one of the problem images here, pick a small one, zip it so I know it arrived undamaged by testing the zip file, and let me open it. If it is simply a matter of you having PSPX files, I'll be able to open them in my PSPX and that will explain why you can't do so in PSP9.
    IP

Thumbs up Re: pspimage

I realize this is a bit late related to this post but I just wanted to add for anyone else that encounters this problem with opening .pspimage extensions. I have dozens of these images that I haven't been able to open and have tried several ways.

Just now I managed to open one image into PSP7 by cliking on download/save/ When the next window opened I saved the file by changing the .pspimage extension to .psp and saved it. This could not be opened by just clicking in the file because it had still saved it with the .pspimage extension. So I then had to right clik on the saved file and RENAME it to .psp and this time when I clik't, it opened pretty as you please.

But I did notice that doing the double process as listed above was necessary for it to work properly.
    IP

Does your program have the latest patch?
    Does the file creator state that it is a PSP9 image or is it just Windows? Windows will associate the extension to the name, independent from the version, so while it might say that it is a PSP9 file (displaying the icon) it is actually PSPX and so on...

Pandora: the reason why you were able to open the file in PSP7 just by changing the extension is that the person who created it probably made it PSP7 compatible, but forgot to switch to the old extension - .pspimage was added to PSP8+.

EDIT: Yikes! Only now I saw that this is a topic from 2006! So I guess my reply only goes to the post revivor, Pandora.
    IP