Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Hire site

Default Re: Car Hire site

As promised the URL to the page containing sample navigations:

http://alvit.de/css-showcase/css-nav...s-showcase.php

Juergen

Thanks for the comments ladies and gentlemen.
    I am a little confused as I only ever use Mozilla Firefox. I just checked the page with IE and it looks fine.
    Why is your Firefox not accepting the flash menu. A lot of sites use flash, so why so many problems.

Anas

Quote Originally Posted by salaam View Post
    Why is your Firefox not accepting the flash menu. A lot of sites use flash, so why so many problems.
    Hi Anas,

I think, this is a misunderstanding: Your flash menu is visible with Firefox, but the MS Internet Explorer shows a additional border around the Flash menu and the visitors have to click on the frame, to activate the menu. A solution for this problem is discussed in this thread.

The recommendations, not to use the animation within your menu are more questions of style/design like discussed in the thread "Blinky and rotaty animations in the year 2006?".

Regards,
    Remi

Thanks Remi, indeed you are a veritable forum directory.

2 or 3 of you have stated that the flash animation distracts you. The initial purpose of this animation was for web viewers to be impressed by the technical/ professional aspect of my clients company. Isn't this 'distraction' a good thing? I mean it won't cause anyone to exit the page will it?

Anas

Hi Anan

Your work is excellent and an inspiration for many, but yes, in my opinion it may cause people to leave the site. Explanation---time.......many people are still connected to dial-up and if you site has not come in within 20 seconds, you start loosing people.....But....and this is a big but.....who is going to be visiting the site. Now, living in rural Canada, if I was still connected to dial-up, I would not be visiting the site, even by accidently browsing, because I would have no reason to be there, so you could safely eliminate me.

However, I have mentioned this before on the forum, I think your index or accueil page as we call it here, should be small and come in fast, so I would remove the animation. Once I am on your index page, which came in fast, I may want to browse further on the site, so I will click on a link or button as it may be, in which case I will be more willing for a slow download, within reason, that is........so, put the animation on another page where it will be my choice to visit it, but on the index page I have no choice and very well may leave the site if it takes minutes to come in. The last time I saw the page, it was very, very good, tasteful, nice logo, even the menu buttons were very nice. It was done in good taste, was informative, appeasing to the eye, everything a good site should be, but slow. Anyway, for a guy who has a mediocre site I seem to be pretty liberal with the advice so forgive me if I seem annoying, maybe I should listen to myself more often if only I just wasn't so bloody boring...........frank
    Last edited by Seagull; 29 August 2006 at 11:05 PM.
    .............frank

Thanks Remi, indeed you are a veritable forum directory.
    There is so much graphics know how in this forum and most questions were already discussed - therefore the forum's search function could be the best friend of all members here...

2 or 3 of you have stated that the flash animation distracts you. The initial purpose of this animation was for web viewers to be impressed by the technical/ professional aspect of my clients company. Isn't this 'distraction' a good thing? I mean it won't cause anyone to exit the page will it?
    I think, you know, that's not the best idea to include a animation in a menu. The big problem is, that you've invested a lot of work into the animation. It isn't easy to throw a work away. But you have to ask yourself: Is this animation really necessary to present the business of your customer? Does this animation shows something about car rental? Are the customers of a car rental service really interested in some seats of a car?

Regards,
    Remi

Hi forum,
    O.K. I have given up the animated menu. I will take Frank's suggestion and put it on the other pages.
    I have also included Marcia's idea for the band at the bottom of the page (thanks Marcia, good idea).
    Please tell me if the menu looks O.K. now. I converted the photo to negative on Xtreme and faded it in SwishMax. I will animate the buttons for mouse over ect.
    Thanks all, I am learning.

Anas

It is looking fantastic, Anus. Really like the effect with the menu. But I wouldn't say your learning, your already there my friend. Just wish I had your talents..........frank
    .............frank

Thumbs up Re: Car Hire site

Hi Anas, it's pefect now! One more thing though: you have to backspace a few clicks or get rid of a few <br> in your html code, because at the bottom is a big white space (when scrolling).
    Marcia
    A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open.
    Frank Zappa

Thanks Frank, thanks Marcia.
    I have added some more pages. These will all use Xaraonline modules. I will also have to put a 'HOME' button on the animated menus.
    The big white space at the bottom hides an xara statistics button as I need to know if my client is keeping watch. I don't like such spaces either, maybe I can insert some useless text or just delete the button when I am finished, any ideas.
    (Don't worry Frank I am used to the mis-spelling, it's not very flattering but teaches me humility.)

Anas