Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Rounded corners on rectangle

I've now found the 'Create New Name' icon. It wasn't apparent from the first help page that this even was an icon.
    It just says: "In the Selector Tool click Create new name". There is no consistency in the help file.
    Why not say
    "In the Selector Tool click the "Create new name" icon" (with a picture of the icon).? I'll tell you why, because the person who wrote the help file knew the program inside and out, and didn't think "How would a complete newcomer have the first idea that "Create new name" wasn't a menu option, unless we specifically tell them?"

No doubt none of this will be changed or improved...
    The help file needs redoing, the fonts are too small, you don't have the simple option to make them bigger, and it simply needs more pictures. We are, after all, dealing with a computer screen. Not a manual on pure mathematics.

Rule number one of help file design: never presume the user knows anything just because it's obvious to you, the programmer, designer, person who's used the program for two months non-stop...

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    Xara, by design or otherwise, has managed to limit the number of tools to a sensible number. To have a tool that did just that and nothing else wouldn't be very efficient.
    Don't be ridiculous. According to your logic, you should get rid of as many tools as possible in the name of 'efficiency'. It isn't very efficient at the moment, having to constantly work around the problem. It doesn't have to be a tool, as long as it's there somehow!

Another program I won't mention allows you to add rounded corners as an 'effect'. That would have a wider application and not occupy tool real estate
    Tony
    Which one is it? It might be just what I need!

If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofThomas View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. According to your logic, you should get rid of as many tools as possible in the name of 'efficiency'. It isn't very efficient at the moment, having to constantly work around the problem. It doesn't have to be a tool, as long as it's there somehow!

Which one is it? It might be just what I need!
    Efficient doesn't mean minimum.
    Given your attitude I think I'll leave this thread at this point

Tony

Don't be ridiculous.
    That's no way to engage in a discussion. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to respect others. As it is the good points you make are close to being lost because of a lecturing and dismissive style that permeats your posts. It might be difficullt to beleive, but some of us on the board aren't stupid, though some people that think themsleves clever act pretty stupidly.

Decide whether the posts that you make are for your own sole gratification or part of a discussion that others will take part in. Currently you are doing yourself a disservice, as well as those you comment upon.

Noobody wants to engage in a conversation where they will be described as ridiculous.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

Noobody wants to engage in a conversation where they will be described as ridiculous.

Paul
    And there was I thinking I was talking to adults who don't over-react when they read harmless comments on a computer screen. Have you never said to somebody "Don't be ridiculous"? Lighten up!

Quote Originally Posted by tonylondon View Post
    Efficient doesn't mean minimum.
    Given your attitude I think I'll leave this thread at this point

Tony
    You seem to be a bit selective about what you want to address Tony - weren't my points about the help file problems valid? I guess we have yet another program that won't be improved because too many 'believers' take offence at any suggestion of improvements!
    How does one suggest a product needs improving without, by definition, criticising it?

And there was I thinking I was talking to adults who don't over-react when they read harmless comments on a computer screen. Have you never said to somebody "Don't be ridiculous"? Lighten up!
    Jeez, there's really no hope.

This just arrived in an Adobe newsletter email, it looks like it isn't just us thinking about this kind of thing at the moment..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slice9symbol.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	32118  

Kinda makes it more frustrating, seeing how long people have been banging on about this.

The newsletter says the implementation is rather more sophisticated than we were asking for, since fireworks users will be able to define the areas that should not stretch (or is it the other way around?).