Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Is anyone out there a teacher trying to get Painter into their classroom?

I am trying to get some kind of resonable license to get classic onto a classful of 30 PCs to use alongside traditional media with 11 to 16 year olds. The cost of licenses is astronomical.

Why doesn't some marketing star at Corel realise the potential of their program to Art & Design students. There is a massive potential new market when those kids leave school which they are failing to reach because of their lack of a decent educational pricing policy. ( [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] am I ranting?)

Anyway, if you have any answers or classroom experiences with Painter...

andy waite (ananse) uk

andy_waite@hotmail.com

[This message was edited by ananse on January 12, 2001 at 12:42 PM.]
    IP

Is anyone out there a teacher trying to get Painter into their classroom?

I am trying to get some kind of resonable license to get classic onto a classful of 30 PCs to use alongside traditional media with 11 to 16 year olds. The cost of licenses is astronomical.

Why doesn't some marketing star at Corel realise the potential of their program to Art & Design students. There is a massive potential new market when those kids leave school which they are failing to reach because of their lack of a decent educational pricing policy. ( [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] am I ranting?)

Anyway, if you have any answers or classroom experiences with Painter...

andy waite (ananse) uk

andy_waite@hotmail.com

[This message was edited by ananse on January 12, 2001 at 12:42 PM.]
    IP

andy

i know an art teacher here in vancouver that has to teach photoshop to her students. i mentioned painter to her but her response was something along the lines of ,'is this a necessary software to know in order to get a job?'. my response was 'no'. photoshop dominates the area of need to know applications in graphics, along with quark. i'm surprised to hear that your school board would consider making painter part of an art curriculum at all. if you can make it happen more power to you!

stecyk66
    IP

Thanks for your comment Stecyk,

fortunately in some schools in the UK, education of students is regarded as more than just preparing students for work, otherwise I wouldn't be a teacher at all.

As a Fine Art Graduate, I want to give my students experience of Technology skills (most of which are transferable between programs anyway) but I also want them to understand the creative potential that they have. Painter, with its natural-feel tools is more an extension of traditional Art practice than Photoshop is.

I want my students to turn into rounded individuals not just employees! ( [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] where's that soap box?)

We don't say many positive things about English schools, but perhaps this is something we need to retain. Please pass on my deepest sympathies to your friend! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by ananse on January 12, 2001 at 01:05 PM.]
    IP

Hello Ananse!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oddly enough. . . I heard from a teacher (in Texas of all places . . . the Houston area to be exact) that Texas schools had picked up some kind of digital art/design curriculum. . and in her class, they were learning Painter 5, 5.5 , or Classic. . .I don't recall.

I don't know the details of that program. . . even though my tax dollars (combined with others') are paying for this [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] . It could be that the clout of Texas schools as a purchasing block allowed them to get licenses for the program.. (as is the case with text books). But i suspect that this selection of art programs was not made on a statewide basis. This sounds like the kind of intelligence that comes from a more locally controlled body not a state wide body.

As a liberal arts major, I empathize with your desire for your students to be more than mere employees. .. . I suspect that even todays big employers are actually looking for people who think and question things instead of blindly following. I know that there are professors at our (US)universities who wish that university study was not considered vocational training. . . .

But yes we are human beings before we are employees. So I think your students are very lucky that you are trying to introduce them to a variety of experiences.

Wish i had better info for you. . . I'll see if I can contact that teacher from the Houston area. (I suspect she may be busy though . . . so I can really admire your taking the time out of your schedule to post here on your students' behalf [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Thank you for your encouragement Athena.

I have contacted Corel here in UK and emailed HQ in Canada. I'll let you know of any progress I make

Andy
    IP

Hi,

When i was studying in delft (Netherlands) I was assistant to a teacher who was planning a course in painter. I dont know whether he actually started it but you can ask him. His name is Koos Eissen and this is his email:

j.j.eissen@io.tudelft.nl

bye

Sander
    IP

thank you Sander, I'll check him out.

andy
    IP