XaraLX package has included "xarasvgfilter" and "xarasvgfilterui",
    which, according to the author, may be used as command line
    conversion tools with XaraLX...
    ...and, in other discussion, we see that SVG import should now
    be possible, via the import menu... but, for me, none of these
    features have worked - this, again, in any of the four or five
    newest releases I've downloaded.

Is SVG import/export still a work in progress, or is there some
    way to do this already, before it appears in the menus ?

Thanks to anyone who may know !
    IP

Default Re: SVG import / export status ?

Quote Originally Posted by stuseven
    + In the past week of daily releases for Linux, the
    XaraLX package has included "xarasvgfilter" and "xarasvgfilterui",
    which, according to the author, may be used as command line
    conversion tools with XaraLX...
    ...and, in other discussion, we see that SVG import should now
    be possible, via the import menu... but, for me, none of these
    features have worked - this, again, in any of the four or five
    newest releases I've downloaded.

Is SVG import/export still a work in progress, or is there some
    way to do this already, before it appears in the menus ?

Thanks to anyone who may know !
    It's still a work-in-progress in the sense that it needs fully integrating. I don't think anyone has tested it on the command line, but very recent builds should do SVG import (I think). Whether autopackage is installing the SVG filter right right is another matter: we've done a lot of fiddling there (not helped by renaming the binaries). What's the most recent build you've tried?

The recommended 0.7 version (when released) should have functional SVG import.

Alex
    IP

+ Alex - Thanks for your reply.

As I said, I've been downloading the daily builds... so... yesterday's
    will have been the latest I'd installed - however, that version did not
    include menu items for either SVG import or export (and I was unable to
    get the svgfile binaries to produce anything useable).

I have downloaded, but not yet installed, today's XaraLX release, (version 0.7 Revision 1680 Built 08-Aug-06 12:00)... I'm still not at my
    Linux machine, and haven't tried it yet. Hopefully, this newest one will
    do it ! If not, I'm happy to wait... it should be a great new feature
    when it's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by abligh
    It's still a work-in-progress in the sense that it needs fully integrating. I don't think anyone has tested it on the command line, but very recent builds should do SVG import (I think). Whether autopackage is installing the SVG filter right right is another matter: we've done a lot of fiddling there (not helped by renaming the binaries). What's the most recent build you've tried?

The recommended 0.7 version (when released) should have functional SVG import.

Alex
    IP

Its not working here either.

With revision 1680 SVG does not appear as an option under either the import or export menu. Furthermore, trying to import a rather simple SVG produces: "That file is not recognized by any of the installed filters."

Cheers,

--
    Jed
    IP

SVG import (r1680) can't handle any of the Open Clipart Library files. Only the simplest of drawing can be imported, from Inkscape, and offset to the upper-right of the screen, off the page.

frank
    IP

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Please can those people reporting that SVG import isn't available after Autopackage install please answer the following questions.

- Are you installing the autopackage with default options (so files get installed under /usr)?

- Can you see all the following files are installed:-
    /usr/bin/xarasvgfilter
    /usr/bin/xarasvgfilterui
    /usr/share/xaralx/filters/svgfilter.xml
    /usr/share/xaralx/filters/svgfilterc.xml

Please try using revision 1680 or higher.

Once installed, you should see that SVG is included as one of the many import file types. Do File, Import. Go to the file type list near the bottom of the dialog (it will show *.XAR by default). You should see SVG included in the list of types in that list.

After choosing a file (choose a simple one for now as this is work in progress) you should find the data has been imported into your current design. Usually it appears above and to the right of your current view (bug), so zoom out to see it.

Thanks

Neil
    IP

Yes, to all your questions, Neil, I see them all in their correct places.

I have the import filter SVG file type in the menu. I can import simple SVG drawings, after zooming out to get them.

I used autopackage to install Xara LX r1680.

frank
    IP

Ok now this is interesting. I have r1680 installed both here at work and also at home (home runs Slack 10.1 and work Slack 10.2).

At home, SVG import works for all of the (2 or 3) files I've tried from openclipart.org. As has been mentioned, the files import rather huge and away from the open page, but big whoop, that's no show stopper.

At work however, the SVG import doesn't work at all, not even for the files that work at home for the same revision. Although SVG is in the import dialog, when I try to import the document I get two dialog boxes; One with the "This file may not work with this filter" message, and then another one that says "Plugin filter reported an error but didn't provide a message".

I presume that I'm running the package with default options, since I'm not specifying any. However, I'm installing them as my own user rather than root, so they get installed to $(HOME)/.local/ instead of /usr. The files mentioned are in the appropriate location under that path, both at home (where this works) at here at work (where it doesn't).

I even used ldd to make sure that I'm not missing a library, and tried to run the executes manually, and things check out that way.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

NeilH is offline Xara Group Ltd. Development Manager Member

Thanks.

Stuseven - can you try again please. You don't actually say whether you were using the autopackage or not. Please try the latest autopackage. We know that there is a problem with using the tar archive. If you install using the tar archive you won't be able to see the SVG import filter currently.

Thanks

Neil
    IP

Oops I forgot to mention that I am using the tar archive. It looks like that is already a known issue.

--
    Jed
    IP