Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My first try of Xara

Hi all,
    I've just discover Xara. I'm an Illustrator boy looking for another tool. I've done this to try Xara. It wasn't easy to use the keyboard shortcut. Why are they so difficult ? Shift F-number to switch between the most used tools ! It's one finger to much. I figure we can configure that but I didn't find it out yet. I did like the exercise but stil confused with the color editor. Lack of practise.

I would like to know the limitation af Xara. How do you work with editor or ad-office ? Here (in Belgium) they all have illustrator. It's easy to share files when you've got the same program. What about the print ? I've read there is some problems with the cmyk color scheme. Does Xara replace both Illustrator and Photoshop ? I'm working with a wacom tablet. Does I have to configure something ?
    Many questions.
    Thanks for reply

Sorry for my poor english.

Harald
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roller.gif 
Views:	576 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	26890  

Default Re: My first try of Xara

I dont know Im guessing when you switch from one application to another your going to feel like a duck out of water for a lil bit. I cant use illustrator worth anything. Ive never printed anything out with xara, im sure other people would be able to help you there...
    Rian

Welcome to the forum Harald. Very nice picture there, did you draw ir with Xara?. You will find you will get plenty help here on the forum and eventually get all your questions answered.

Norman
    Last edited by parahandy; 20 June 2006 at 03:33 PM.

yes I've done it with Xara. Took twice the time than under Illustrator. That's the price to pay when you feel to smart to read the help file

You will find you will get plenty help here on the forum and eventually get all your questions answered.

Norman
    yes I've notice that it's a big community and very friendly. I haven't pruchase Xara yet. I'm using the trial version. I'm a bit worried to leave the Adobe family and to learn new habit. And to face new problem too !
    I had some problem with the bézier curve. In illustrator , there is an easy tool called conversion pen. My version is in French, I don't know the exact name in english. Is there an equivalent in Xara. I was a little confused by the color of the handlebar of the bézier cruve too.Is there a way to change the color ?
    Anyway, I find the program very responsive and easy to use.

Morning Bentox
    Welcome to the forum and you make a great introduction. I find your picture is very, very well done.

All programs have their limitions and downsides, especially when you compare a new one with something you've been using before. Personally, since discovering xara, it is the only program I have or use anymore, even for manipulating photos. I think the biggest and worst limition of xara is your own imagination and by looking at what you posted you will not suffer too much from that.......frank
    .............frank

Welcome. Very cool Illustration. I am a X Illustrator user myself. Once I started to figure out Xara, I can't seem to put it down. They should call it crack.
    I'm not sure why your having trouble with the keyboard shortcut though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delete.jpg 
Views:	543 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	26898  
    "Life is at it's best when it's shaken and stirred.(F.Paul Facault).

As Regards to your print,

if you use the preview print colours before rendering to a pdf you can see how it's going to come out,

i;ve been using Xara as my main Drawing program for illustrations to logos to advertising boards etc and ive so far never had any problems with print.

so you can be rest assured on that one,

Hello Harald,

I use Xara Xtreme to create websites and illustrations.
    I use Adobe Illustrator sometimes also, but I am glade,
    if I'm back in Xara Xtreme. Adobe Illustrator is so terrible
    slow...

If you're new with Xara Xtreme, take a look at the
    movies (Menu "Help" -> "Movies"). They are really useful.

Remi

Welcome Bentox, Great drawing.
    All my talent comes from Him above.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentox

Sorry for my poor english.

Harald
    Frans of Nederlands talig, sorry, waals of vlaams.

Welcome, the drawing looks absolutely great.
    Hope to see more of your work here.