Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: China vessels...

Mike - the link to the free Kerkythea is above in my opening post. Well worth checking out. Some folks are achiving quality similar to Vray or Maxwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Macintosh
    Bob -- Your bathroom is looking good. Have you tried a bump map for your tile?
    Thanks. Using a bump map will subdue the reflections a bit, yes?
    -- Bob

Bob - I've made an example that I hope will clerify the impact of adding a bump image. The tile box was modelled and textured in SketchUp. In Kerkythea I modified the material by adding some specular to add some gloss. The first -no bump- one shows how the material looks rendered. Next I added a bump map (image) to the material definition - all other render settings were unchanged. Notice how the tile appears more 3d with the grout lines slightly recessed. Below I show the original texture image and the bump map image I custom created in Xara Xtreme. In the bump image whatever is black gets recessed. It was really easy to create the bump image using Xara Xtreme. I imported the original texture image and drew over it to get the tile sizes. You'll note (if you have eagle eyes) that I feathered the edges of each of the 'tiles' which has the effect of making the tile edges look more rounded in the render. I also used a fractal bleach overlay to give some toal variation that makes the tiles less flat when rendered -- in keeping with the rustic style of the tile. I did that to show you that your bump map can in itself be a little creative exercise. I could for instance have drawn a black line -- it would have rendered as a crack in the tiles. If you make a bump image to use note that it must be exactly the same size as the original texture (otherwise the two won't align properly & you'll get wierd results).

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bump-example.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	28432  

I seeee... Oh, the light it's so bright! Thank you Ross for taking the time to post such a detailed explanation. Using a bump map is obviously the way to go - far more realistic. I'm going to play around with it for a while and see what I can come up with.

I find this 3D stuff exciting and intimidating at the same time. However, when I observe what has been achieved by others, I'm determined to try and see where it takes me.
    -- Bob

Here's another example. By changing your bump map image you can significantly alter the look of the rendered texture. Note how the 'bumps' even get highlights/shadows.

Regards, Ross
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bump-example2.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	28447  

the vessels lokks great and real.
    But i dont feel that much satisfied with the living room