Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

hi
    i have an old copy of photoshop 5.5 that runs on my win98 pc...can this copy be used in my new winxp machine?

i am currenly using the photoshop cs trial and is expiring soon...but the original cost US$600+ which i definitely cannot afford.

thanks.
    IP

hi
    i have an old copy of photoshop 5.5 that runs on my win98 pc...can this copy be used in my new winxp machine?

i am currenly using the photoshop cs trial and is expiring soon...but the original cost US$600+ which i definitely cannot afford.

thanks.
    IP

Hi.

Haven't tried it myself, but would say I'm 99% certain it will.

XP is an NT based OS, just like Win 2K and the earlier NT 4.0.

Win 2K and NT 4.0 were around at the same time as PS 5.5. As such, it is very unlikely it will not run on XP, which is basically the same NT based system glammed up.

Sark
    IP

Hi,

I agree with Sark. Win2K and XP have a compatibility layer in the OS that works with older versions of Windows programs. I know a few people that are running old versions of programs written to run on Windows 3.1
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

hi guys
    Thanks. This really sets my mind at ease. I really cannot afford the new version price.

cheers.
    IP

One point worth making...

I began on PhotoShop Elements 2.0. This is an excellent program. If you are basically just editing images, rather than creating work from scratch, or doing more creative stuff with your images, Elements is very powerful and more than capable.

Certainly worth looking into if you don't need Image Ready or the more sophisticated PS tools.

Sark
    IP

Yes you can. I'm using 5.5 on my XP Computer
    IP

IP

If you have an older version of PS why do you not take the advantage of the upgrade price to CS, seasonblue. If you have been using the trial version you will know all the benifits, improved vector tool, browser, auromate, increase bit rated, raw files if you are a photographer, improved image processing, layer comps, etc. The list goes on and on and in the UK I think the upgrade price with support £178.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP