Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Dynamic DNS for website hosting

Even if you only have windows XP you may host your own site in your own computer. I guess anyone has their own reasons why not to choose a decent host.

My reason is if I want to create a 2GB video for example it's better to show a client from my own computer. Besides, you can use it to access your computer from anywhere.

You need to install ISS microsoft server. The upload is of course much slower, but hey, you can use 80GB in your own pc.

www.dyndns.org

You can create an account and download a free app so your ip will be updated each time you reconnet.

Hope you find it useful.

Default Re: Dynamic DNS for website hosting

Hi Availor,

the best solution to publish a 2 GB video to a customer, is to burn a DVD and send him by postman.

I would recommend to install the Apache Webserver, instead of the Microsoft Server.

Regards,
    Remi

LOL Remi Apache will run on linux... I have windows

I know Availor, but Apache runs on Linux, SunOS, HP-UX, Mac OS X, Windows, ...

Like Remi said, you can get Apache for Windows. If you have a spare computer you could put together a LAMP system. That would give you all open souce apps on your web server.

Also, IIS for WinXP only has the ability to have one default web site. You have to run Server if you want more than that.

I suppose one web site could suit you though if your objective was to use it just for your clients. Then again, you wouldn't want to stream a 2GB video anyway. A simple FTP server would be what you would want so the client could download and then watch their video. You could provide semi secure login so only the client could download keeping the video from being accessible worldwide etc. You could use DNS if you want, but you could also just provide the IP address of the server.

Thanks for the thread Availor. This subject doesn't come up much around here!

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Wow, I though I came up with something new and it seems that I'm pretty outdated lol. I am taking a webdesign course.

Don't feel outdated. It can be fun putting together your own web server!

Another thing though to consider is your upstream speed. Most broadband connections limit the upstream speed because of the very thing you want to do. They don't like people serving content and taking up bandwidth. It's usually disproportionally set where the download speed is much faster than the upload speed. In my case, my upstream speed is 384kbps and downstream is 6mbps or 6000kbps. It would take a very long time for a client to download a 2gig video file from my web server if I opened it up to the web. You could co-locate a server with an ISP, but that will cost you.

I basically use my web server for a working environment prior to deployment only.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

Also bear in mind that most ISPs specifically stipulate you shouldn't run web servers on your connection.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.