Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

@Arnold, cool bottle. Took me a while to realize it was solid up top, was trying to find the closer rim then realized it was closed, looks like someone captured that chess piece in the bottle.

@gidgit, I found a site that says the refraction index for glass is 1.517. I punched that into a scene that has been rendering for almost 15 hours now and probably has another 8 to go. But it is looking very nice so far, the glass looks great in it. I probably upped the number of rays, etc. way too high for what I needed to get a nice look but I'm not stopping the render now...I'll post it here as soon as it's done.

Here's the site I found about refraction and has refraction indexes for different materials.

http://www.geocities.com/thesciencef...efraction.html

I remember reading a Bryce related site I think that had much more info on refraction index and more materials listed. I'll see if I can find that link later. Stuff is way over my head as far as the math goes but the numbers for glass seem to make it look real.

-Tek

fossman - Great looking glass, love the bevels.

Hi Arnold,

Great glass! I like how you positioned it inverted over the chess piece. Very nice modeling on all the pieces.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hey Teknal... thanx for that info... indeed, the math is a tad beyond my meager brainpower as well

Ya know what, I tell you we were really close with the 1.55 setting even though eh...

and yes, I would love to view more info on this subject.. so please post such whenever ya find it

Thanks again for sharing this information, it was fun to test them all out because of this info

here's a pic with three different settings... 1.5, 1.517, and 1.55... but not in that exact order

Look closely and you can barely tell the difference... and when you do see the subtle difference maybe you can tell just which pic is which setting... try out your hand guys... which setting belongs to left, center and right glass here..

I would also be interested in viewing if anybody else would care to do this sort of test with these three settings...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glassmugsx3.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	330  

Thanks for your comments guy's, I appreciate it.
    Don't get much time to do these things, so it's nice to get comments once in a while.

Arnold

Hard for me to tell but I will go for this.

1.55, 1.517, 1.5

Very hard to tell any difference. But I'm guessing it's 1.55, 1.5, 1.517
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Arnold, Thanks to you for sharing your image. Gives us that push to try and get close to your level.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I totaly agree with Bill on this Anold

ok, the answer is.... 1.5,1.55, 1.517...

so from this I am guessing that anywher near 1.5 is cool for glass... though as I have suggested, it would be very cool to see if this theory stands up with other glass objects under different lighting conditions, and perhaps even with different cam angles as well...

anybody game to give this a go?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ok, the answer is.... 1.5,1.55, 1.517... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh! ....what was the question??????