Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: y

y

[This message was edited by Hector on October 22, 2000 at 04:01 PM.]
    IP

y

[This message was edited by Hector on October 22, 2000 at 04:01 PM.]
    IP

Most Cool, you do have a neat sense for color. I like this image and the Puppet Show. They sort of sing out at you.

Take Care,
    Greg
    IP

Hi Felix,
    The term "Mere Amateur" gets to me. There is no such thing. There is nothing mere about loving something so much that without it you whither and die. An Amateur is one who does something for the love of it.
    Now that I am done pontificating, how about sending me your E-Mail address or listing it in your profile? Please.
    Take care.
    Greg.
    IP

Felix,

For those Painter users who have any of a number of technical difficulties while wanting only to enjoy Painter and create art.. or multiple difficulties all at once... those lists that provide support and solutions can make or break the Painter user's experience, to say nothing of sometimes even making it possible at all.

I agree that it's important, and enjoyable, to see how others are working, why they do what they do, and learn the steps taken to achieve a result.

Some of the Painter-related lists and newsgroups to which I subscribe contain both. Some more weighted to the art side, and these seem to be the lists with more Painter beginners who are happy to have discovered the Distorto brush and continue posting images done with it.. endlessly. <g>

This forum seems to have a nice balance weighted to sharing beyond-beginner Painter art and a smattering of technical talk, which I believe is inevitable considering the complexity of Painter and its vulnerabilty to all kinds of variables.

Your situation, with Painter on a separate hard drive, may eliminate many of the potential problems just in that aspect alone.. and I'd love to be able to give Painter its own private location. In other words, I envy you that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Your work is interesting and it's nice that you explain a little about each one and how it was done. I wonder, though, if you'd mind explaining a little more in-depth.. For instance, in your most recent image, did you make a Clone and paint on it? There were some other questions that came to mind when reading your message but since I can't see it at the moment (in this little response window).. can't recall what they were.

Anyone know if it's possible to read Painter Forum mail off the web? I mean, can the messages be sent to a member's personal e-mail address? (Not that I am sure I want to do that, however, since I try hard to avoid attachments in my e-mail.. and would miss the nice art that all of you are posting.)

Thanks in response for anyone's answer to my e-mail delivery mode question.

Jinny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    _________

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com

[This message was edited by Jinny Brown on October 16, 2000 at 08:29 PM.]
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Felix,

I, too, find the Painter Forum somewhat of a hassle, mechanically speaking. It's slow, for one thing.

But on with the subject at hand....

The list I find, and have found, most helpful over several years is the Painter list, now at www.topica.com. It's a mature list, well established, well run, has a good number of experienced and some professional artists among its members, and a subscriber list of, last time I checked, 710 members.

That and the Corel Painter newsgroups.. and the alt.fractal-design.painter newsgroup are the best for technical information, Painter tips and techniques, and exposure to experienced artists and Painter users.

>> Would have been better if the enquirer had been referred to some other place, or say to your list if and when you can post it.

I don't run a list that is suitable for discussing either technical problems or Painter tips and techniques, so the enquirer would have to be referred elsewhere.

Actually, there is a good reason why I can't give Painter its own location. My hard drive is not partitioned and there's no "own location" for it to be put. In my case, it's not a matter of sloppy management but the fact that I don't know enough to partition my hard drive.. and it's so full of software now that I'm not about to reformat and begin all over. Next time I buy a new computer, I'll do it differently.

It's easy to make such statements when one doesn't know the situation another person is in. It's not as if all systems were the same, or even close to being the same.. let alone the other-software, drivers, peripherals factors that can also interact with Painter to cause difficulties.

Obviously you know a whole lot more than I do about the techie aspect.. and more than I want to learn. Phew!

>>You never paint on a Clone, Jinny! On tracing paper or layers. The kinds of layers there are in Painter is staggering.

Er.. it might be better to say that *you* never paint on a clone, darlin'. People.. highly experienced Painter artists use the whole range of methods to create images.. and some of them include painting on a Clone.. along with others. Matter of fact, when you use Tracing Paper to paint, you're painting on the Clone, else you'd not have the use of Tracing Paper at all.

>>* You can email any Forum page anywhere. See at top left of the threads list.

Thanks, I'd probably have found that eventually.. in the meantime, copy and paste works just as quickly.

>>I don't mind any threads in this Forum on Trouble Prevention, so long as the troubled ones go to other Fora for the Shooting.

Time will tell if your wishes are met. If there's some set of guidelines for what topics can be posted to the Painter Forum, I've not yet seen it. Just using common sense so far... meaning if the subject has to do with using Painter.. I assume it's acceptable.

Jinn

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Catman!

350mhz Pentium and W98?! Boy you need SCSI alright!

I might do with an eventual HD upgrade sometime. Currently I'm saving up for the eventual mega upgrade that is coming in the next 6 months when the G4 Plus CPUs and Os X and all the Carbon software make their debut. It drives me nuts that I have this G4 on my desk and no software to make it fly like its suppose to! It could sure come in handy with some of the KPT filters.

In the next few days I'll see if I can post some images also. Add my part to the artsy scene of the i/us Painter forum

'couver
    IP