Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Can I store preset guidelines in other layers?

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I can store preset guidelines in another layer (not in the Guides layer). What's the problem with the following cenario:

1. Create a new drawing.
    2. Create some preset guidelines (like page borders).
    3. Create a new layer (master or not).
    4. Move those preset guidelines to that layer.
    5. Click Tools... Options... OK.

After that, if the new layer is not master, the guidelines get COPIED to the Guides (default) layer; if it's a master layer, they get MOVED to there.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Thanks in advance,
    Alexandre
    IP

Default Re: Can I store preset guidelines in other layers?

I don't know whay you would want guides on the layer itself. The whole idea of the guides being on the guides layer is that they can't ge printed. If you drag them on to any othe layer, they become objects.

Additionally, you can drag objects from any layer to the guide layer, and they will behave as guides. The reason for this is that it is the only way you can get a curved guide.

If you don't want to drag a guide, you can lock it individually by right clicking it and choosing "lock" or you can diable edit for all the guides by clicking on the pencil icon for the guides layer in Object Manager and disabling guides that way.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

I don't know whay you would want guides on the layer itself. The whole idea of the guides being on the guides layer is that they can't ge printed. If you drag them on to any othe layer, they become objects.

I just thought it would be a way to organize them in a better way (the layers main purpose), instead of putting the whole world and his wife on that "huge" layer.

Additionally, you can drag objects from any layer to the guide layer, and they will behave as guides. The reason for this is that it is the only way you can get a curved guide.

Yeah. In my opinion, that's the only reason to maintain it on the template.

If you don't want to drag a guide, you can lock it individually by right clicking it and choosing "lock" or you can diable edit for all the guides by clicking on the pencil icon for the guides layer in Object Manager and disabling guides that way.

Thanks, but it doesn't solve my problem.

Can I ask you a question? Is there a way to make guides sticky? I mean, so that objects aligned to them can be dragged as I move them? Is there some kind of functionality that does this on CorelDraw?

Thanks for helping me out!
    IP

Not at my own PC right now so not sure if this will work, but worth a try. Multiple guides can be shift selected like multiple objects, so it may be possible to shift select a guide and an object and move together.

Sark
    IP

You can make the snap greater which you may call stickiness. To do that, go into Tools/Options/Workspace/Snap to Objects, and make the snapping threshold "High" on the dropdown menu. Next click on Document in the left panel of the Options Window and select "Save Options as Default for new documents."

Again I will say that if your guidelines are on the same layer as your drawing, they will print. If you want to organize guidelines you can make them different colors. If you put them on other layers than "Guidelines" then the "Snap to Guidelines" isn't going to work. However, "Snap to Objects" would as well as "Dynamic Guides".

Do you use Illustrator?

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Sallybode: if I disable the printer icon to the left of the layer name, it doesn't get printed. Thanks for the tip on the snap strength!

Sark: by stickiness, I mean not having to select the objects attached to the guide; just selecting and moving the guide would bring the objects together.

Thank you for your help!
    What a great community you have!
    IP

Now I understand.

As it turns out, my suggestion doesn't work anyway. You can shift select objects and guides, but they won't move together.

I understand your point though. I personally have never liked the seperate Master page layer. It just makes the Object Manager less tidy in my view. I tend to collapse it and leave it collapsed.

Sark
    IP

Sark, I agree with the master page removal thing

Anyway, my question has to do with my experience in design with 3d software, which in most cases, have this feature (attaching objects to axes or planes) at their core.

I'll leave a suggestion to Corel buddies so this can become an "optional" feature.

Thank you Sallybode and Sark for helping me out.
    IP

Master Pages are interesting, however it you have much that is heavy graphics, it can make major hangups in printing.

The best way to get the most of a program is to learn its idiosyncracies, it is like the advice of "When in Rome, do as the Romans." You might benefit from an add on that allows you to save selections; Selection Manager is available from Oberonplace.com. It remembers previous selections like saving an alpha channel. This may make what you are doing easier to make sense of.

In multiple page layouts, you get guidelines created to expedite other pages. You might give it a look see. If it doesn't help, it is interesting to say the least and worth knowing about.

Having experimented with this now, I can say that you can cut and paste guidelines to another layer and they retain the properties of guidelines, of course, shutting off the printing icon is important. When a new guideline is created, it defaults to the default layer but can be dragged to the new guideline layer, objects can be stored on this layer, but should be moved to a layer which prints.

You can also create presents under Tools/Options/Document/Guidelines/Presets, to create guidelines you prefer for special setups you do over and over again. You can also create a macro to do this. And assign it either a keyboard shortcut or make a button on a toolbar for it.
    Last edited by sallybode; 05 August 2006 at 07:48 PM.

Sally M. Bode
    IP