Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Very Newbie Question

Thanx, Bill. I appreciate your help. Can an avi be imported to 3D? Or am I stuck on this one? Can you create it with a transparant background? Or will the fade prevent that?

Best,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by GabBill
    Thanx, Bill. I appreciate your help. Can an avi be imported to 3D? Or am I stuck on this one? Can you create it with a transparant background? Or will the fade prevent that?

Best,
    Bill
    I believe Bill may be at work during this time frame of your post. I'll try to answer your question, although Bill is much better at 3D6 than I am.

I'm pretty sure that 3D6 only exports avi and doesn't import it.

What I do in that case, is I have a program that I can import avi or gif files. I can then manipulate the frames one by one; put in a different background or use overlays such as titles or whatever.

The exported animated GIFs will support transparent backgrounds. Video formats such as avi will show the graphics but won't be transparent to a background. You can however, use a program that uses flash to demonstrate that. You will still need to manipulate the illusion of a transparent background though.

Bill should be back later on, hope that helps a bit.

Hi James,
    Thanks for your post. I'm not sure how to proceed with this. As I mentioned eariler in this thread, I create DVD slideshows. I think 3D6 will be great just as it is for creating some fairly cool text effects to use in my shows. That, along with yesterday's sale price, is why I bought it. After playing around a bit, I thought of importing my logo and creating an animation to present as a show intro.

My slideshow software will import an mpg, mov or avi. Will not import or support an animated gif nor a Flash animation. It would have been a nice touch to be able to create this type of intro, but I don't want to drive everyone crazy trying to do it.

All that being said, I'm not sure how you would accomplish this. Sounds like it would take a lot of work to get through it. I'm certainly not clear on what you're suggesting. But that's me coming into a new venue and not fully understanding it all. I think that if doing this is totally out of the realm of 3D6, maybe I'll drop it.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Hi Bill,

Does the software you use support using a blue or green screen background as transparent? If so I can create an avi with the faded film strip using the appropriate background so your software can create the transparent background for you.

An example of the correct blue or green would help if you can post it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,
    I use Proshow Producer by Photodex. It does not, as far as I've ever heard, read or seen, support blue or green backgrounds as transparant. What we usually do is to create a psd or png in Photoshop with a transparant background. It does support layers, though that doesn't help in this case. I can also import avi, mov, and mpg video. I wsa figuring on creating something in 3D6 and exporting to an avi.
    While I really appreciate all you help, I don't want to put you to a lot of trouble with this.

Bill

Hello again, Bill

The Xara3D file is attached. I have Photoshop 7 and CS, maybe I can make a psd file you can use.

I noticed just now that I have one too many frames in the film strip. I'll work on that and post the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

bill, tried opening your file and got this, and then 3d did NOT open:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	28314  
    -=Bob=-

Hi Bob,

If you try opening the file direct from the forum you will get that message. Use the right click and Save Target As option then open from your hard drive.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hey Bill,

Here's another .x3d file with the filmstrip edited to more closely match your original image. I'll email you a zip file that contains each frame of the animation as a separate .png file. Let me know how that works and if I need to change the transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	myphotosinmotion.gif 
Views:	160 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	28319  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Bill,
    Got the png files. When I put them in my slideshow prgram and run the show, they work great. It' actually a fantastic effect. I'm gonna work on removing the white background so I can use the animated logo as an overlay.
    Question regarding the above x3d file. Is that a file I can bring into 3d6 and play around with? I tried importing it and had no luck.

Thanx again for all your help. Everyone here seems very willing and able to offer their help. I really do appreciate it. I've also been looking around at some of the incredible work being displayed here. I'm really very impressed.

Best regards,
    Bill