Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: actions

Default actions

(Sally -- thank you for your reply on my brush question a couple weeks back)
    I have a question -- do any PS actions work in Corel? If not, what would the Corel equivalent be for actions??

~Thanks
    IP

Default Re: actions

With CorelDRAW, there are scripts or macros and you can record them in a number of ways: playback your undo docker and save it as a script, or you can get more sophisticated and even design scripts that launch dialogue boxes with check boxes and buttons.

Scripts really can help make the use of DRAW much more the way you'd build a program yourself if you could do it. There is an interesting forum, lots of friendly people who interact at the oberonplace.com forum. Oberonplace.com is a must have in your internet favorites if you use DRAW and want to get more out of it. There are many free scripts for all versions of DRAW and also scripts which you can buy, but try first.

If you have bought the book "CorelDRAW, a users guide" by Steve Bain published by Osborne McGraw-Hill, you can download the code for the book and play with it. http://books.mcgraw-hill.com/downloa...1912_code.html

Or you can play with it anyway as they aren't asking for verification.

There are also scripting for PhotoPaint. And the same VBA editor.

The VBA toolbar is not up by default, but you can turn it on: Tools/Options/Customization/Command Bars. Click in the check boxes to see what they do and what you like. You can even make your own tool bars, assign new icons to scripts and automate your workflow. And if you play around with this at home and use DRAW at work, you can export all your nifty additions to your workspace and email it to yourself or your coworkers. Note that this is a two-step operation as you have to have the scripts in the GMS folder also along with their customized icons for your own tool bars to work. Cool thing is that if you save this and have to reinstall your programming because your hard drive goes back or something (happened to me recently but I have a backup drive, important stuff goes there) and was able to get my DRAW config back really fast.

There are also some good scripts that come with Foster Coburns ebook on X3 if you get the DVD. I don't know if they come with the CD, didn't buy that, but it has lots to help most DRAW users get their efficiency up really fast.

You can find out more about that at unleash.com.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

thanks Sally.
    What I was looking for was more like this action at ittybittyactions. I know I can tweak the photos on my own too, but I'm having a hard time getting these bright saturated colors (like the photo at the bottom - third one in)
    **I'm beginning to use my corel for digital scrapbooking and so I am coming across different issues than I do with invitation designs and DTP (which is what I "normally" do)
    IP

For photo editing scripts you need scripts for PhotoPaint.

Whereas scripts can greatly speed up your productivity, getting good results in adjusting photos comes primarily by understanding the tools. Then writing a script to help process a batch of photos is not a problem.

There are several different methods of enhancement and they all yield similar results, knowing the program helps you make better choices.

I rarely use batch commands because I am doing more retouching than batch processing.

If you know the steps you want to take, and have taken those steps and like your results, you can record a macro the same in PhotoPaint as in DRAW by replaying your undo list, this actually records a macro for you, you have to name it, etc. You have to decide where you want the script saved and what you are calling it. Once it is created there are other steps you need to take to assign it to a keyboard short-cut or a toolbar button. This makes replaying the script far easier.

If you can post the photo, I can tell you how to correct it, then you can record the script for yourself. That way you know how to correct your photos even without the script.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

this is just one photo of many. I just want to be able to get the colors to "pop" and be really vivid (like in the example I showed) Thanks!
    http://static.flickr.com/76/204450332_d7b406f19f_o.jpg
    IP

DRAW X3 comes with PhotoPaint X3 of course and for not many upgrades over 12, it does have a real timesave: Auto Adjust. Auto Adjust is an automation that makes a general improvement that most pictures need based on contrast, levels, color balance and white point.

As you can see, this one touch photo improvement made a world of difference. Took me all of one second, if that, to apply it.

Resaving took longer.

How's that. The glitch is, upgrading, however, if you haven't taken the plunge, so to speak, you can download a free trial from Corel.com and see if it works as easy as I just said for yourself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fixed.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	28284  

Sally M. Bode
    IP

HUGE difference!
    I'll have to look into X3 now. Without it, what do you think would be needed? Different layers? Which tool is best for white balance?
    IP

Actually, I found a tool which will do about the same correction in PhotoPaint 12 for this type of image problem, it is Image/Adjust/Auto Equalize.

Sally M. Bode
    IP