Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Thanks to Everyone working on the Open Source Project

Xara is 25 years old. The open source project is not one year old at this time, but it is progressing rapidly.

I was enjoying playing around in Xara Xtreme LX and this 'happened'
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-25years.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	28222  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 30 July 2006 at 09:58 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Default Re: Thanks to Everyone working on the Open Source Project

beautiful Bill!!!!
    -=Bob=-
    IP

Thanks Bob. I guess you and I are the only ones that think it's neat looking

I noticed there have been 4 views (downloads).
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

I only lurk here Bill, not being a Linux user. But it's very neat and always interesting to see how rapidly XaraLX's is progressing. (You need to change your fonts to shapes )
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Hi Egg. Thanks for speaking up instead of lurking. I forgot to change the fonts to shapes before I'm getting old and forgetful about such things.

Here's another 'doodle' using the latest 'unstable' release, the font has been converted to shapes . Last night I was getting an error when trying to bevel the Chancery font that came with Debian Linux. Tonight it works wonderfully. The bevel applied without error and the responsiveness of the tool is much improved from the previous r 1596 I was using.

Using Xara Xtreme LX is like using the Windows version (with a few limitations for features still being developed). I don't havea Mac or know anyone that uses one to ask if they have success using it on their platform.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara-lx-gold.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	28251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xaralx-gold.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	28255  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 01 August 2006 at 03:48 AM. Reason: added some screws
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Hi soquili,
    Iīm another lurker in this forum. I donīt have a linux box runing, thatīs why i donīt spend much time here... something iīm already working on.

Two days ago iīve tried Ubuntu but since i didnīt have any space available to install it (neither i want to try changing my partitions right now - too risky), iīve playing just in "live mode" with the OS.
    Iīm trying to find a way to get a new hard drive without spending too much money just to install ubuntu and runing Xara LX. I know it includes some features that are being developed in Linux and missing from the windows version. The psd export, some improvements on text handling are some things i would like to try...

Iīm really surprised with the fast development of the linux version. Never thought it would be so quick. For the fist time iīm confident that the open-source of Xara xtreme will really help to speed up the inclusion of new features in Xtreme. Thatīs all i could wish

Hope to have ubuntu and xtreme LX runing really soon here... so i can do more than just lurking.

Miguel
    IP

I came I saw I lurked. I took the gold and ran.

I don't use Linux anymore, have a couple old boxes I could dump it on. Only reason I used it before is because one of business partners was a guru of sorts in UNIX/LINUX and ran the network for us.

Never understood why it has taken LINUX so long to come up with a working GUI. I mean didn't X-Windows for UNIX come out in the late 1980s? I did the UNIX/CPM/DOS command prompt thing before and not really looking forward to staring at a blinking cursor.
    IP

Hi Miguel - I believe that new features added to the open source version that do not violate any GNU licensing will be added to the Windows version at some point in time. A hard drive to run Linux shouldn't be very expensive if you can find a dealer of reclaimed or refurbished hardware. I'm running it on a 13GB hard drive and a 500MHz AMD processor.

James glad you are at least lurking here. The gold was done on the fly using the HSV sliders in the Color Editor. Just something to quickly test the bevel function in r 1623.

You are correct about X-Windows. The Linux GUI's have been available for years, it's just that they all seem to suffer from time lag. The newer releases have improved alot. KDE is more responsive than Gnome in my opinion, but I like Gnome better for some odd reason. You can have Linux boot up to a GUI, or you can have it boot up to a graphic interface where you can select amoung the GUI interfaces you have available or to a terminal mode. For servers I prefer terminal only.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili
    For servers I prefer terminal only.
    I agree with you, Bill. Using a shell is the way real Administrators are working! Working with a UNIX-Shell is faster for doing System-/Database-/Webadministration stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmc
    Never understood why it has taken LINUX so long to come up with a working GUI. I mean didn't X-Windows for UNIX come out in the late 1980s? I did the UNIX/CPM/DOS command prompt thing before and not really looking forward to staring at a blinking cursor.
    The GUI for Linux was there, from the beginning. The big problem was, that there were not so many Software Companies willing to port their Software to Linux. So, the Linux Community was on her own and has to develop their own programs (Open Office, Gimp, Web-Browser, MP3-Player, ...) together with a lot of improvements for the GUI (KDE, Gnome, ...). But this is history, because since three or four years there is also plentifully Linux software for Linux Clients available - and now, Xara Xtreme LX.

In the meantime, Linux is a big player in the server fraction (Fileserver, Database-Server, Webserver, Proxy-/DNS-/LDAP-/Firewall-Server). You'll find no company which owns a important server software, who doesn't port their software to Linux too (Oracle, IBM, Sun, Novell, SAP, ...). And James, I know why your business partners was using Linux for network stuff - because the Internet is built with Linux technologie and Linux is more stable and faster than Windows in a server environment.

The only open question is, if working in an pure Linux environment without Windows on the Client is really possible? I personally prefer Linux in a server environment and Windows on my notebook - in the year 2006. But who knows, what has the future in store?

Regards,
    Remi
    Last edited by remi; 01 August 2006 at 08:33 PM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by remi
    The only open question is, if working in an pure Linux environment without Windows on the Client is really possible?
    Why not ? If you don't need specific software (written only for win) it's possible. Last 3 year I have only Linux on my computers, and I'm happy

Quote Originally Posted by remi
    I personally prefer Linux in a server environment and Windows on my notebook - in the year 2006.
    On my notebook I have Gentoo (alone) - works perfectly try
    IP