Quote Originally Posted by remi
The only open question is, if working in an pure Linux environment without Windows on the Client is really possible?
I've got to agree with Korab on this one, I don't see why not. I've been doing it for 5-6 years. My ability to hack together a couple of data analysis scripts in Python or Matlab certainly doesn't qualify me as a developer, however, I would place myself in the savvy user category. With the porting of Xara and the recent progress that Inkscape is making the final gap in reliable software that I need is about to be filled.

With that being said, I don't think there are any programs that I use regularly which aren't available for nonfree operating systems. My laptop runs OS X but it is strictly for mobile use, the Linux box is definitely my workhorse. Use whatever works for you and from what I hear Windows works now. Although having mostly abandoned it in the Windows 98 days it certainly didn't work back then.

What keeps me on Linux is the fact that I can't remember the last time the OS crashed and I don't need to run 5 different programs in the background just to keep me safer on the Internet. I have also become addicted to multiple desktops and 'apt-get xaralx'.

Jed