Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Text Bevel Artifacts

Just noticed that when we Bevel text in the Linux version we get artifacts around curved portions of the font that are not in the Windows version of Xara. Like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts.png 
Views:	362 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	28211

frank
    IP

Default Re: Test Bevel Artifacts

Hi Frank,

I noticed those artifacts myself. I don't recall seeing them before rev 1603, but I wasn't using bevels on objects other than rectangles before that release. Last night I applied a bevel to a multiple point star created with the quick shape tool and noticed the artifacts. I tried to make another quick shape and found a bug in that tool that is already in the bugzilla bug reports. After creating one quick shape you cannot create another that shows on screen. The center point is a negative number with a long string of digits, and trying to enter a reasonable value for the center point does not move the shape on screen.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Default Re: Text Bevel Artifacts

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude
    Just noticed that when we Bevel text in the Linux version we get artifacts around curved portions of the font that are not in the Windows version of Xara. Like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts.png 
Views:	362 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	28211

frank
    I can't see these on r1612. Could you try again? We were having some problems with the compiler on the build server so builds in the latter half of last week (up to 1608) were a bit dodgy. This caused (we think) the QuickShape problem and may have caused this too.

Alex
    IP

Well, I went back to r1441 and it is clean, as good as Windows. So we know it can be fixed, once addressed. So many changes since then to now r1612: many, many improvements, no wonder. :<smile>

Thanks,

frank
    IP

Hi Alex,

r1612 fixed the quickshape issue. But I still see artifacts in the bevel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifacts.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	28212   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artifact2.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	28213  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Soquili; 30 July 2006 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added the .xar file as an attachment
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili
    Hi Alex,

r1612 fixed the quickshape issue. But I still see artifacts in the bevel.
    Mmm... don't see them here (not necessarily definitive as I am building myself, not using the autopackage build). Can you file a bug please ( http://bugzilla.xara.com/ ) and include an example of a .xar file which suffers this problem.

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-32.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	28218  
    IP

Same artifacts here.

Xara LX autopackage version 1612
    artifacts only for -> inside bevel
    outside bevel look OK.

Also desktop is frozen during instalation from autopackage ( but low CPU usage ).

Version 1612 crash when I try to open an old .xar file ( that i made with v. 1496 i think ).

I remove version 1612 and I put version 1496. No problem with system ( I can browse the web easy - no frozen desktop ), no artifacts, and ..I can open old files and files that i made with version 1612.

I attached .xar file that crashed v.1612 every time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

To see what I'm seeing with the artifacts you need click on the four little arrows pointing inward button on the Info Bar in r1612 when using Bevel function. For me all seems to work correctly if I use only the arrows outward buttom like I think you did. A bug, I do believe. No need to send any attachments to show this. We all know what the artifacts look like. <smile>

frank
    IP

Alex, I submitted the bug at the bugzilla site. Report 1366.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude
    To see what I'm seeing with the artifacts you need click on the four little arrows pointing inward button on the Info Bar in r1612 when using Bevel function. For me all seems to work correctly if I use only the arrows outward buttom like I think you did. A bug, I do believe. No need to send any attachments to show this. We all know what the artifacts look like. <smile>

frank
    I can't see them on either inward or outward bevels. Not denying there is a bug, it's just it sounds like it is build dependent rather than code dependent. Which is interesting, as we thought we'd reverted the build system to its prior status.

Alex
    IP