Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Feather Tool Slider

Sounds good to me!!! (what Charles said)
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 26 July 2006 at 01:04 PM.
    -=Bob=-
    IP

Charles,

Thank you for your very detailed reply. My main reason for disliking the current pop-up feathering slider bar is the offset, which involves Click, slide down to bar, slide along bar. (I know that in reality you don't need to slide down to the bar but it's strange interface where your altering a slider 'remotely' so to speak).

In the majority of programs using these pop-up sliders, the pop-up appears directly over the drop-down arrow and is normally vertically orientated, so that the text value box remains visible. The pop-up box also positions itself dependant on the current slider value.

I can understand that Xtreme can't have this vertical slider as it would be off the screen, but I feel the current compromise isn't very satisfactory either.

As for a Blend Step slider, yes please. Didn't Artworks have a slider?
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 26 July 2006 at 10:44 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

The spec of the finished pop-up slider says that it should position the pop-up so the slider thumb is immediately under the mouse, so minimum movement should be necessary. Plus it will work exactly like the Xara one so that a single click-drag-release is all that's required.

And yes line width control is a perfect example of another feature that would really benefit from an interactive pop-up slider like this.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir
    Future
    The criticism that we're have inconsistent UI now with different types of slider is fair. And that's why we plan to move to using the new pop-up slider across most of the UI, and adding them into all sorts of places where we have no slider at present. We will not replace the large sliders on Infobars, where we don't have to though. Those have room so do not need to be replaced.

But consider having a pop-up interactive slider on the blend control, so you could have a dynamic live control of the number of steps on the blend. No need to type numbers in any more. No trial and error. Now that would be seriously cool and that really is the Xara way of doing things. And it's not just the blend tool that could be dramatically improved with a control like this.

So this pop-up slider is a taste of what's to come.

And this is an illustration of the effort and depth of planning that goes into what seems a utterly simple, trivial little control in Xara.
    But you look upon the sliders only as a additional UI to insert values and you don't plan to remove the input fields, right?

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 30 July 2006 at 10:09 PM.
    IP

But you look upon the sliders only as a additional UI to insert values and you don't plan to remove the input fields, right?
    Yep, correct.
    IP

Thanks
    IP