Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Big thank you

Default Big thank you

First I really want to thank Xara for open sourcing Xara Xtreme. While I am not a professional developer, I do code on occasion for my employer. And for me having things I write no matter how small or large open source is important to me as an individual. My employer does not see any value in FOSS when it comes to projects I work on for them. The reason I bring them into it is I admire people in positions to make decisions who see the value in FOSS. Xara has seen that value and made a commitment to it. Thank you.

In a market (graphic software) where 90% of it is owned by a behemoth and little competition exists. I can see how this move to FOSS is going to change everything. Lets consider that when markets are stagnate and monopolized, innovation also becomes monopolized. Innovation does not cease to exist in that market, rather innovations do not catch on. It is disruptive technologies that breath life back into old markets or make new ones. I think Xara has seen how it can use FOSS as a disruptive technology to make the changes needed in this business. Kudos to those who recognized this and acted upon it. You are making the world a better place by doing so.

I am a hobby artist. For the most part I like to cut up photos and paste together new ones. For that purpose The GIMP was more than adequate for the job. It was not until recently that wanted to try my hand at creating my own artwork from scratch. Googleing on what Linux had available I stumbled upon Xara. I watched the video's and I was blown away at what Xara can do. But to find out that Xara is porting it to Linux and making it FOSS, WOW, that's just amazing. I was truly blown away by that. You have made a fan out of me.

Congrats to the devs on their hard work. You are the creme de la creme.

Norman Bauer,
    Easton, Maryland, USA
    IP

Default Re: Big thank you

Thanks, Norman, for your insight. The same has gone for me and I'm a professional graphic designer, retired. When I saw the movies for Xara I bought the Windows version six months ago and have been using it ever since. I now use the Linux LX version too for it is getting close to being fully usable. See web site for some of my work:

http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/

The Xara FOSS folks and the Xara people are doing great work, with a different mind-set than many others in either the Adobe or Open Source worlds.

Thank you, thank you, to all who contribute.

frank
    Last edited by fjgaude; 28 July 2006 at 02:33 PM.
    IP