Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Accidental sphere in Xara 3d

There was a thread recently about somebody wanting a 3d globe in Xara 3d. Not too sure, but I may have accidently come accross a way of doing it in Xara 3d6. First, hit ctrl + A and after selecting all the text, hit the supprime or delete key. Then go into design options, select the Border and then go into the design picker and you want Xara 3D6\samples\shapes\Ball x 2 x 3d, this should give you a shape of two balls like an old fashion weight lifter...........now go into bevel option and click the texture option, choose curve with a depth of 999, you should have 1 ball now, maybe not round but you can drag or try going into the extrusion option and selecting a depth of 150.......Now you should have a round sphere which you can animate......Finally I went into the design option and just selected any picture in my computer to try it, and it seems to work. I don't have a picture of an atlas so I can't try that but I did try my daughters picture and also a water photo, both jpg's and .......well, try it yourselfs and see what happens....by the way, the depth number I have given you can not be achieved using the slider, so they will have to be typed in so now you have even more experimenting you can play with....good luck to all and to all good luck......frank

Edit: just looking at what I posted and those stupid lights are driving me crazy but I don't thing you can do much about them, at least not somebody with two left hands
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Seagull; 24 July 2006 at 01:48 AM.
    .............frank

Default Re: Accidental sphere in Xara 3d

Cool!
    Now I feel stupid...
    Nah, it's great, really. Just goes to show that nothing is impossible.
    This one should go to Gary's XaraXone....

Extremely cool!!!! Way to go Frank!!!!!
    -=Bob=-

In case your interested, no, that is not the picture of my daughter but a last second substition. And playing around with it a bit more, it seems you can use several different shapes to accomplish this such as celtic, halfSunBoard, and maybe more. It seems the most important is the bevel choice of either round or curve with a depth of 999 and extrusion depth 150 to make the sphere. Sorry about the low quality of the above sphere but it is the first time I have posted a 3d and do not know the saving settings yet.

And if any of you out there have questions to ask about 3d6, don't ask me, I'm no expert.......this was just a fluke caused by fooling around.......frank

edit....oh yeah, to get rid of that horrible glare, in the extrusion option, select matt instead of glare. What happened to me is what you get when you do things too fast.....fingers faster than the brain syndrom
    Last edited by Seagull; 24 July 2006 at 12:06 PM.
    .............frank

i like those glare spots
    -=Bob=-

Good move Frank.
    I forgot that you are not limited to text and I didn't know that you could go higher than 100 with the 'extrusion'.

Use 'Control' and 'Tab' to move lighting (glare spots)
    Go to 'Colour options' to change light 1, 2 and 3 colour/ brightness.

Anas

Quote Originally Posted by Seagull
    \samples\shapes\Ball x 2 x 3d, this should give you a shape of two balls like an old fashion weight lifter...........
    I tried what you suggested Frank but couldn't get any further with it. I found the two balls and the oldfashioned weightlifter what do I do next? Desperate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weightlifter.jpg 
Views:	1239 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	28012  
    Last edited by parahandy; 24 July 2006 at 10:26 PM.

Not sure this is exactly what he did, but I got a sphere nonetheless... thought I'd post it for those who want it and couldn't quite get it. (I didn't get it right away, kept getting two spheres...)
    Attached Files Attached Files

This interesting subject reminds me that I made a sphere for fun a few weeks ago.

Here it is:
    [IMG]http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/7...sphere2wc9.gif[/IMG]

A few quick replys. Norm, I can see why your wife married you so, so long ago. God you got sexy legs, no wonder you like kilts so much.

Craig, I downloaded what you did and it looks perfect (I also checked the bevel depth of 999 and the extrusion depth of 150) but if you had installed a texture or photo onto it it would have been easier to see that it was turning. What I did when I was looking at it was I just installed a photo of mine onto it, and then changed the direction of animation to a horizontal spin.

Ren, I don't know if we used the same techique, it would be interesting to know. While examining the sphere I created in 3d, it was turning at about the same speed as yours, but when uploaded it is going twice as fast and the quality of the gif seems much lower quality. I like yours much better, what settings did you use.

My ball was the first time I have ever posted with 3d6 even though I've had it about a year now, in fact I very rarely open it since I always found it boring and regretted buying it......that is until I started seeing what you can do with it in this forum. The tank thread totally amazes me since I can't even begin to understand how it has been created.........frank
    Last edited by Seagull; 25 July 2006 at 12:55 PM.
    .............frank