Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default rev 1441 0.6 autopackage problems - anyone else?

I installed XaraLX 0.5 autopackage on my Suse 10.0 box recently and had no problems. As an ex Windoze user of Xara I was thrilled to have use of Xara again.
    Today I DLed and tried to install 0.6 rev 1441 autopackage. This time, instead of doing an auto install, clicking the file simply opens it up in a text editor. Is anyone else having same problem, or is this something strange going on with my system (alone)? Could the fact that I have a current version installed cause this?
    Any suggestions appeciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    IP

Default Re: rev 1441 0.6 autopackage problems - anyone else?

I don't think that's caused by having a current version installed, as every day I download the autopackage for the latest revision and that always works fine.

You may need to right click on the link and choose "Save target as...", if it keeps opening up in a text editor. Sounds like either the server or your browser is messing up the mime type of the download.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

nope, I used few times 1441 and no problems on Ubuntu Dapper Drake.

Sugestion: Use the last build ( is not so unstable as manny can think ). With 1493 and 1494 I can do without problems the tutorial from http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=22280

No ideea about what can U have there, certainly not from autopackage.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by lectron
    I installed XaraLX 0.5 autopackage on my Suse 10.0 box recently and had no problems. As an ex Windoze user of Xara I was thrilled to have use of Xara again.
    Today I DLed and tried to install 0.6 rev 1441 autopackage. This time, instead of doing an auto install, clicking the file simply opens it up in a text editor. Is anyone else having same problem, or is this something strange going on with my system (alone)? Could the fact that I have a current version installed cause this?
    Any suggestions appeciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    You can probably fix it manually by ensuring the executable bit is set and running it from a command line prompt.

Code:
    cd /path/to/the/relevant/directory
    chmod ogua+x filename_of_autopackage
    ./filename_of_autopackage
    Why it should have worked before, and not now, I don't know (I don't use autopackage).
    IP

Sorry for the delayed response. The problem is solved thanks to all the helpful input which served to get me thinking, and put me on the right track. I'm an old Linux convert from DOS/BASIC/Win98SE, and my command line Linux is practically nonexistent at this time. My current software skills are pretty much limited to HTML. Anyway, your replies proved that the problem was definitely in my Linux box, so I did a little "head-scratching", taking what was suggested into account. I suspected that perhaps one of the many Suse auto-updates might have changed something so I did two things.
    1. I took the advice of Abligh and checked the permissions. Sure enough, only root was execuatable for this file so I added "group" for executables.
    2. since I suspected something in Kpackage might have some bearing on it (a hunch only), I updated Kadmin (which contains Kpackage & more)
    After that, I double-clicked the 0.6 autopackage file again and (finally) got the following dialog box:
    "autopackage for "Xara LX Vector Graphics Tool"
    The installation of this software requires some additional support
    code to be installed.
    A] If the support code is found in a local directory, it will be used.
    The file containing the support code will be called:
    "autopackage.tar.bz2"
    or
    B] If there is an active Internet connection, the support code will be
    downloaded from:
    "http://autopackage.org/downloads/latest/autopackage.tar.bz2"
    Proxy users should ensure the http_proxy environment variable is
    set, otherwise the download may fail.
    Selection B --> OK to download and install support code now? (Y/n):"
    I entered Y and followed the prompts through several screens of dialog and ...... viola ! Version 0.6 was installed and even shows up on the menu.
    So, many thanks to all (even those not mentioned above) for the guidance, as it was all valuable in getting me on the right track.
    Now I'm off to see what changes 0.6 brings. I used CorelXara under Windoze for years, so I'm really happy to get it back without dual-boot! It was one of only 2 apps that I needed dual boot for. One more to go ......
    Cheers,
    lectron
    IP