Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CorelDraw X3 double-sided printing problems

I'm running X3, latest version with all the patches (SP1, etc). I print to an HP LaserJet 5500 -- tabloid sized, automatic double sided printing.

I print a LOT of 11x17 booklets (when folded they're 8.5 x 11 sized booklets) and have never had a problem until today.

I opened up an old Corel file -- Fall of 2005 was the last edit. It was 8.5 x 11 formatted, so I changed it to 11x17 booklet and everything seems fine. When I print, though, a few of the pages will double up -- the text from 2 pages will print combined. This doesn't happen on ALL pages, only some (and only on the "right hand" page of the booklet.

I saved the booklet in version 10 format, re-opened it in CorelDraw 10 and the same problem is happening there. I'm assuming that something is corrupt in the data -- does anyone have any experience with this problem?

I would hate to have to retype all that data -- I might just cut-paste into Notepad and cut-paste into a new CorelDraw X3 file, but that, too, will be a huge time committment.
    IP

Default Re: CorelDraw X3 double-sided printing problems

I haven't had your specific problem but I have had other problems when DRAW would only perform as expected when it was openned in the version the booklet was created in.

One thing I'd try before giving up the ghost and retyping, is making a .pdf from your file. This usually strips any miscellaneous code from the file that is giving a problem. You may just need to make .pdf of the individual pages which are the problem and then import them and replace the problem pages. I would think this would work.

Sometimes DRAW can balk at printing something with too many nodes on a page, if you can simplify the nodes, that helps. In addition, if you leave leftovers from pasteup on the pasteboard and not on the page, it can cause printing errors. If I need to keep the scrap, I put it all on some back pages of the publication unless I am building a booklet, then I create a separate file for scrap art.

Often old publications can have OLE embedded Word files and they can give a platemaker a fit and in version 12, could take a week (it seems) to update just in order to zoom it. Nuts, made a .pdf out of it and pasted it back in, both my printing problem and my speed problem were history.

Good Luck.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP