Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Transferring menus to new computer

I am on the verge of leaving Webstyle behind. I don't know why it is so damn difficult to move projects from one computer to another, but every time I do this, it's like having a root canal. Support docs are awful. I have three websites that have their own Webstyle menus. What the hell do I need to transfer for them to continue seeing these files.

Sorry to rant...but this is the stupidest feature of the product. NO reason it should be this hard.

Default Re: Transferring menus to new computer

The Files and Transfer Settings for Windows XP didn't work? (assuming you have WinXP.)

It's supposed to transfer folders and thinks like email in tact from one computer to another. What I usually did, is loaded up my new hard disk in the old computer and transferred the files that I wanted.

There are also commercial programs that do this. They vary in price from 20-60 dollars US.

All I'm talking about is moving the Xara Webstyle projects over. For my menus, buttons, etc. I saw a link about transferring the "WSTemplates" folder over. I did that and I can see my projects now...except they're all greyed out...so I can't use them.

Hmm, dunno then. I thought the File Transfer Wizard would work for you. I'm pretty sure you can pick specific files, but if that's not work I'm not sure what to tell you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filetransfer.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	27882  

Ok...you're not understanding my question. I'm not asking HOW to transfer. I'm needing to know EXACTLY which files to transer, EXACTLY where to put them and how to get them working in Frontpage 2002 again.

I've gotten what I think I need to transfer over, but when i go to edit my projects, I CAN see them but all the options to change text, size, etc are greyed out.

I see.

Well, I think these are the files you will need. I will use an example from my computer as I have FP2002 and use Webstyle.

I think is what you wanted to know, if not let me know. That's how I did it with some older files made in Webstyle stored in another folder. This is all located in my Frontpage folder for this Web and Webpage. In this case, these files will be transfered to a new folder, in a new Web located in Frontpage on your new computer. My network is down for some reason, so I can't test this transfer, but it should work.

The example below shows the menu graphic itself, showing 5 buttons, represented by:
    indextest_b1.gif through indextest_b5.gif along with indextest_left.gif and indextest_right.gif. The indextest.js is the javascript file which makes it all work. The rest are just graphic (GIF) files.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transfer.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	27883  
    Last edited by jamesmc; 19 July 2006 at 04:23 AM.

I just tested the above post and it works.

The key here is to know how and what your files were named when you saved those menus/buttons/styles to your Web folder.

Once you have made a new Web folder on your new computer, you will essentially transfer the Webpage or Webpages that originally had all those menus enacted on them using the Frontpage "Insert Xara Webstyle 4" navbar, button or etc.

If you need to rework that page, rename it etc., you can do it in the new Web on the new computer. However, the transfer of the key gif files and the javascript (js) is important.

js and gif file extentions are the ones you will be looking for as far as Webstyle is concerned.

There will be in the case of the Navbar menu.

One main gif file that is the whole bar. There will be button names for each part of the navbar menu, called b1, b2, b3 etc. There will also be right and left 'button' (b1_right.gif, b1_left.gif) GIF's that are associated with the navabar.

In the exampled I showed there were 14 files, 13 GIF and 1 JS for the one navbar to be transferred.

As I said I just tested it and it worked, hopefully it will work for you.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 19 July 2006 at 04:28 AM.

This still isn't working. It's so frustrating, I just want to cry.

Okay...on my old site I had a website with a submenu in it called "menu". In here, I had all my Xara Webstyle 4 menu files named "Bio.gif, "Bio_b1.gif", etc. And in there also is the Bio.js file. On the old PC, the web and all related files were on drive E. On the new computer, they are drive D. I've copied over the entire web plus the WSTemplates folder. Yet still the project is greyed out whenever I try to edit or even reinsert. This is driving me insane!

Well, sounds like the path name is still looking on the older computer.

I think I know how to fix it, but it involves fiddling with the registry and it may screw things up if it doesn't work out.

So, don't try it unless you feel comfortable with working with regedit.

Before starting, write down the original path name so you can change it back if it screws up.

*Open REGEDIT.EXE from the Start - Run command.
    *Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key.
    *Expand the Software key.
    *Select the Xara/Webstyle 4 registry key.
    *Select Options
    *In the Window on the right side, select ExportPathName and right click choose Modify.
    *Type in the name of your new path, I think you said it was in Drive D now.
    *(If the other parts of the path name are the same, the Drive letter indicator may be the only thing you need to change. If it isn't, change it folder path name until it matches the destination file on your new computer.

*(EXAMPLE: Old name)
    E:\Documents and Settings\MyName\My Documents\My Webs\MyWebProject\indextest.htm

*(EXAMPLE: New Name)

D:\Documents and Settings\MyName\My Documents\My Webs\MyWebProject\indextest.htm

* Choose Export Registry File from the Registry menu.
    * Save the file to whatever filename you want and copy it to the new computer.
    * Open REGEDIT.EXE on the new computer.
    * Expand the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key again and then the Software key.
    * Make sure Software is selected and then choose Import Registry File from the Registry menu.
    * Select the file you copied to import.
    *Double check and see that the new path is under Webstyle/Options in the registry.

NOTE: There may be other paths that need to be modified under the registry in the same areas, they are titled USERPath0, USERPath1, etc. Do one at a time and remember to write down what the old Path names are in case you have to change them back.

Again, don't do this unless you are not comfortable working with Regedit and the registry!!!

Don't know if this will work, but can you look in the XWS files and change the paths to your new paths?

Thought this might work since the file contains the paths in a text editable format. Try that and see if it works.

Change a copy first though. You want to make sure you have a backup.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?