Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Do you think it's wise to pay a web Designer outside the country, such as India,etc?

I'm just wondering whether it's wise to pay a web designer outside the country? Man, they can get paid really cheap. I know this guy he's willing to get paid almost half of the US Web Designer. I saw his portfolios and they are impressive.

My questions are:

What is the advantage or disadvantage to pay web designer outside the country? Is it more disadvantage or more advantage?

Do you guys have any experiences? If you can share it, that would be really cool.

In my opinion, i'm still willing to pay the web designer in US. It's made in USA!! We have to be proud for our products. Thanks a bunch for your comments.

Default Re: Do you think it's wise to pay a web Designer outside the country, such as India,e

Appears to be the latest rage, Web Design in India.

They already do a lot of Software Engineering, billing for major companies and the like.

I guess try it and make an agreement about paying them in full once it is delivered. They may require a deposit or something.

Default Re: Do you think it's wise to pay a web Designer outside the country, such as India,etc?

I am of the opinion that one might support their own local economic scene when ever possible...
    Last edited by gidgit; 18 July 2006 at 06:32 AM.

Default Re: Do you think it's wise to pay a web Designer outside the country, such as India,etc?

I think that you want to get the product, and you dont' really care about where it was done. If you can get it cheaper at the same quality go for it.

Here's an example: Usually I get paid 30-80 sheqels per hour for a job.
    1$=4.5 shek. The minimum wage per hour is 19.26 so I'm waaay about that. But still, an american designer would take 80$. It's relative to the prices. Since its all in sheqels in here the prices are cheaper as well, so I'd be glad if someone paid me 40$ per hour.

That's the whole purpose of trading.

gidgit, may I contradict you in this matter: Trading is much better to economy than supporting an interior marchendise. It was used to be like this in Soviet Union and in Israel back then, and it totaly failed.

I can't get really into explaining of it, but it's well known that exporting and importing works better than buying and selling only inside the local community.
    Last edited by Availor; 19 July 2006 at 03:23 PM.

I tend to agree with gidgit... It much easier to build up close relationships when you can actually meet people. Networking is great stuff! It's also easier to solve problems and celebrate successes when you meet face-to-face.

In general - I would hesitate to deal with anyone if there were no:

Real address and phone number, real name and email address... Proper contracts and brick and mortar financial establishments for payments.

4CustomDesign,

There's a Himalayan saying that goes, "The further you have to go to milk your goat, the greater the likelyhood that the milk will turn sour before you get home". Ok, I just made that one up... BUT the Web is what it is - use you what you can to find out who you are dealing with, and if something smells fishy it probably is. You are the one with the wallet - if you are not getting what you want in terms of information and proposals - move on.

If there's a portfolio - there's references - pick one or two, and ask for it, or even better, go to the (sometimes supposed) people directly. It's web design - it shouldn't be too tricky to do some snooping around before commiting.

P.S. I'm also paranoid... Getting some more input on your thread would be wise. I would also like to see some myself, as I have a few things that I hope to have done eventually.
    Last edited by RTK; 20 July 2006 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Availor

gidgit, may I contradict you in this matter...
    Sure you may... though for all intensive purposes, I would like to suggest that the choice of contracting a local web designer could hold it's own set of merrits...

Moreover, I truly believe that the choice to support local micro economics goes a long way to building stronger communities. We really need to keep people at work, while adjusting where need be to remain competitive... sometimes this might mean slightly higher costs, but the good feeling shared, is priceless

And... yes indeed, global business is very important to any strong economy... I just happen to believe that sometimes the costs are not always as evident beyond the monetary value placed upon said goods or services

Risto, bang on re the local networking, business cards shared etc... it really works well eh
    Last edited by gidgit; 20 July 2006 at 09:30 AM.

Default Re: Do you think it's wise to pay a web Designer outside the country, such as India,e

That's a balancing act.

On the one hand in business you want to save money, but on the other you need to support your local businesses as they pay taxes and hire locally and in essence support your business by spending the money they make from you at other local businesses not to mention the tax revenue collected.

Having global trade is good . . . but not always.

It's also a much simpler thing to find out the reputation of a local business.

I myself have not hired a web designer outside the country. I do have business contacts who have with mixed results. I would say, buyer beware.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?

So... are we to do business?

Geez that discussion got sidetracked nearly all the way to 3rd world debt!

I believe getting it done in india has it's ups and downs. One of the ups is that it is cheaper, but you will get only what you ask for, which is not always a good thing. If you go for a local person you can mediate exactly what you want better.

The other thing is usually the contact you are using to get the work done is taking up to half of what you are paying, so they guys in india are pretty much still being ripped off.

I would try doing most of it yourself as there are enough content managment programs that are free that produce lovely results. I am putting my site in this section for review, it is all done using 2 programs, and with my limited knowledge it looks alright, I hope, see how the reviews go .

Shane Hamilton
    Webmaster for www.graphic-bank.com