Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default CorelDRAW X3 Font problems

I've recently upgraded from CD 12 to X3. I'm having problems with printing Corel12 files. In one case, the apostrophes and quotation marks were missing throughout the document. In another, the bullets were missing. Does anyone know what causes this problem?
    IP

Default Re: CorelDRAW X3 Font problems

When Corel released X3 they switched over on many fonts from TTF to Open fonts. If both are installed, it may lead to confusion as to which one to use. If you are printing out of X3, save a copy in X3 and see if that makes a difference, that way DRAW should know just how to interpret the document.

It is also possible that it is a font issue.

Have you tried making a .pdf from the document? How does that print?

There has been some issue with fonts that Corel is aware of, regarding Font Navigator not recognizing and automatically installing required fonts. This should be corrected by a update that we are all waiting for.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

When Corel published X3, they replaced many fonts with the Open type of the same font. As this is not the identical font, if you have both installed, it can lead to some possible confusion. I would suggest saving the document as a copy in X3, so as to make a test (seeing as this document is printing correctly from 12, you may not want to overwrite it). The whole idea of switching to Open fonts is compatibility with MAC, but they also didn't change all the fonts that ship with DRAW, only some of them. It is going to take years before Open fonts are fully implemented. And then if individual designers choose to use TTF or on the MAC end, choose to use the MAC only fonts, well it isn't much help then is it.!

Have you installed fonts from the X3 disk, they are all odd names as well. At unleash.com you can download an easy font renamer that will give these the standard names we are recognize.

Corel knows that there are issues with Font Navigator not recognizing installed fonts. I have not heard of the quote and apostrophe mark or bullet problem. Were there any warnings when you opened the document that there were missing fonts?

In the meanwhile we are all awaiting the fix by update from Corel.
    Last edited by sallybode; 10 July 2006 at 06:51 AM.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Smile Re: CorelDRAW X3 Font problems

Thanks anyways, but Corel gave me the fix for my problem. CorelDRAW X3 has a new Enhanced Overprint View mode. I had to change the view from this to the regular Enhanced or Normal mode and the fonts would print okay again.
    IP

I always have that on, have never tried it without, now I know what to expect if it gets turned off.

Thanks for the post.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Smile Re: CorelDRAW X3 Font problems

Well, I'm back again. I just wanted to mention that Corel fixed my problem for the quotation mark and apostrophe issue, but I still have files that don't print the bullets. This is only happening when I open a file created in the lower version. If I create a new file, the bullets print properly.
    I probably do have duplicate fonts on my system. I can't remove any fonts because we open files that are up to 13 years old and we can't risk the possibility of the font spacing changing or substituting. I've been getting around the problem by deselecting the "Download Type 1 Fonts" in the driver's postscript options. Then, the bullets print. Unfortunately, I have to notice the problem before I know I have to fix it. If it's a multiple page document, it's very easy to miss a bullet that should be there. Very risky. Errors translate to dollars in this business.

Cindi
    IP

Yes, I know and trying to please the customer and do the work in house is another problem. Some companies buy templates, one is an accounting firm that didn't want to pay for four color process, so it left me to rebuild their artwork and figure out how a three color layout could look as dynamic.

Corel 12 can display ligatures however, it won't download them to the platemaker. And when you roam the plate to see if everything looks alright, there is one zoom or MEGAZOOM. Neither terribly helpful with spotting problems with type. The one view, all the text is Greeked and the other shows you all of one letter at a time at 12 pt. So we missed that ligatures had turned into question marks.

So I know what you mean. And when the bullets, etc., don't change there is always customer supplied copy that is a problem, and brochures designed in spot color in MS Word. Someone needs a lobotomy here and I don't think it is me.

Sally M. Bode
    IP