Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Help Please, Newbie

I am not sure if I am in the correct Thread, but it did say ...freelancing.

Well, Hello you guys. My name is Amalia. I just graduated June 3, 06 for Graphic Design and Multimedia. I am also a Loan officer. I have a question. And please, let me know if im in the wrong thread

I do not have a GD job yet so I guess you can say that this is freelancing.

My mortgage broker wants me to design two designs. One is going to be for a Flyer. The other will be a design that she is wanting to put on the front of a
    9"x11" presentation folder.

Now, since this isnt a "class assignment"....I am getting nervous.
    I dont know how big to make the two designs....well, the flyer will be on a stadard size letter paper. I am not sure which program to create this in....Photoshop, or Illustrator...or maybe InDesign. Any suggestions? PLEASE.

I also have another question. I do not know how much to charge her for both designs. I am lost. I hope I didnt ask for to much. But thank you anyways for reading my post.

Amalia

Default Re: Help Please, Newbie

I just graduated June 3, 06 for Graphic Design and Multimedia.
    Congratulations.

I am also a Loan officer.
    Full time I suppose?

I dont know how big to make the two designs....well, the flyer will be on a stadard size letter paper.
    Well the flyer will most likely use all the available space, Some graphics, text, photo's, etc...

The other could just be a label of some sort, ask your mortgage broker what size to make it.

I do not know how much to charge her for both designs.
    How much do you make as a loan officer? I would say you'll be working overtime, charge hourly, a minimum of time and a half or double your usual pay, plus expenses. When it comes to charging get as much as you can but don't overcharge your customers. You could be sneeky and call a competitor as if you were seeking to get some work done for yourself, then ask how much they charge.

I am not sure which program to create this in....Photoshop, or Illustrator...or maybe InDesign.
    Perhaps you will use all of the above. It depends on what you need to produce.

And please, let me know if im in the wrong thread
    The original freelance forum was dismantled some time ago, I suppose this forum will have to do unless the moderator wants to move your topic someplace else.

Hope that helps a little bit.
    Last edited by Mike Bailey; 09 July 2006 at 04:19 AM.

Hello Amalia, welcome in

1. What is a Loan officer?
    2. Charging: I have two suggestions to you.

When I started my work as a freelancer, it was just to get some extra cash from aside because I wanted a car. I began doing things for free and then reached a level. I did it for two reasons: 1 to get more clients and 2. It is going to sit in my portfolio. If you create a design that your client doesn't want eventually, you can still put it in your portfolio. The more there is in it the more people will think you are a pro, since you made so many things.

My second suggestion to you is: Go to another designer and ask him how much he'd charge for it. You need to know the market prices. If you are new and are confident with yourself it's always best to keep the prices a bit higher. But if you are not familiar with marketing just ask a design company how will it cost you (as if you are the client).

About the progam: I usually don't work with photoshop. I like vector graphics since they are easier to edit. I work with Freehand and Xara, but I also know Illustrator and CorelDraw.

My personal choice would be Illustrator, but if there's much text its best to use Indesign. Again, my personal choice.

Hope I helped somehow

For pricing have a look at companies on the internet, see what they charge. No I am not talking about the well known design house just the small print companies who design logos, brochures & biz cards they will give you a good idea on how much you can charge.

As for software how can you beat Xtreme for value? AI is 10 times the price, and you are just starting out. Just think how many jobs you will need to do to pay for the software, I would suggest that you invest also in Serif's PagePlus to do your DTP.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Amalia, welcome!

Use what software you have. It sounds like you have Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. For layout, you'll want to avoid Photoshop, but it could help you with your graphics. You also could use Xtreme if you have it.

Find out where your broker is going to have the printing done and contact them about what specifications they need from you. They'll usually help a new designer like yourself. Knowing what the printer needs will help you decide how to start.

Then on price, be fair, but don't sell yourself short. I can tell you up here, northwest of you in Denver, that new designers freelancing like yourself can get $35 an hour pretty easy. Most of the decent ones charge at least $50 and hour and the really good ones can get $75 and up.

An important part of your rate is to be confident (even if you're shaking inside )with your broker. Think of them as your first client. Your attitude will dictate what rate you can charge. If they see you as confident and professional they'll respect you and your abilities.

Hope this helps.

Red

Big Plan Creative - Napoleon had one . . . Einstein had one . . . Do you have one?