Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Recording videos

Hello all,
    I've spent about 4 hours trying to record a video tutorial.... I got a 64 MB of size recording a small region from my 800X600 screen, and it turned out 12 minutes of video, which was rejected by "YouTube" since the maximum lenght allowed is 10 minutes.
    I used Camtasia studio 1 or 2... frame rate was 4 frames per second.

Another attempt was to use wink... which turned out to be 104Mb and crashed as soon as I tried to export it to swf.

My last attempt was with Camtasia again. 3 frames per second, small region. 7.15 minutes = 34 MB

Now I'm trying to upload it to YouTube.

I've noticed that LearnFlash.com have extremely small files though their videos are long. How do they do that?
    IP

Default Re: Recording videos

Wink is a tool to create Flash Videos and it's Freeware.

With Wink you're able to create Flash tutorial videos with only 1 MB size or less (see attachment), if you invest some time in optimizing it (delete all unnessecary screenshots between the scenes) and if you do your Flash video without audio.

I've never had trouble with Wink.

Regards,
    Remi
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Hi Availor,

I'm using Camtasia 3.0 to record my videos. I record a screen area of 456W x 403H pixels. The screen options (frames/sec) are set to Autoconfigure. As an example the photoCutting video (with the cow) is a 91Mb file.

I believe I could reduce these file sizes considerably if I were to record at 8 bit colour, but I can't get my screen below 16 bit. I really must look into this.

As you state YouTube has a 100 Mb OR 10 minute limit. (Although I got away with 10.45 minutes for the cow)

I've tried video only programs but you then loose the spontaneity of an audio video. You can spend considerable time typing in text, which the viewer then has to read, thus not concentrating on the video section. I've tried making my own Flash tutorials, but you spend hours recreating the wheel. i.e. Click on the Selection tool ....... change the status bar .... etc .... you end up almost rewriting the program.

I'm very happy with my current system (apart from colour depth). The biggest problem now is the upload time to YouTube.

I attach a xar template that I use to determine my screen dimensions when recording. You'll need a horizontal tool bar, which is amazingly difficult to get used to.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Well I guess I will find a solution to this, since The guys at LearnFlash.com managed to reduce a 6 min video size to aout 6 mb!!! I am dying to know how they've done this!
    IP

I use Snagit for general screen capture, it captures video and various things. Made by the same people who make Camtasia. It is quite useful.

I also have On2 Flix Standard which can convert about any kind of video, still images (including animated GIFs) to Flash (SWF,) or FLV. These are the people that write the engine that makes Camtasia software work so well.

Both of them together are about half the price of the Camtasia Studio. The only drawback to the Flix Standard as compared to their pro version is that it is single pass. Double pass will reduce the file even more and the Pro version has much capabilities.

What I do is record the screen with Snagit if I don't want to re-invent the wheel and then convert it to SWF or FLV.

I can then make SWF slides for screenshots I want to hover over while talking. (can't see talking for 15 seconds when the screen isn't moving, waste of bandwidth.)

Now for the roll up your sleeves part. This way is a bit more work, but if you are making a tutorial and that tutorial is going to last awhile, might as well make it interesting and also interactive.

As you know, you can imbed player controls just about anywhere on the screen, including in still shots.

So, let's say you have a mo-getting end all tutorial. You start out with your splash screen, the title, fade transitions and some zoom work, then you figure you need some text instruction.

Bam! Make your text slide in your favorite program (Xtreme) add some graphics, include audio with it and music if you like.

Down at the bottom corner you have an attractive button that says "NEXT."

When the user presses "NEXT" the video starts back up and away you go.

Getting toward the end of the video you wind your presentation tutorial up with a conclusion and reviews. You know, the old Preacher method of delivering a message:

• Tell them what you are going to tell them
    • Tell them.
    • Tell them what you told them.

That's why sermons last so long, er...nevermind different subject.

Anyway, if you are concerned about bandwidth and know a little Flash you can have an interactive slideshow that will make the user feel all warm and fuzzy and you're Internet connection will thank you.

Oh, forgot to add, I can reduce an 8mb WMV video to about 2mb using On2 Flix Standard.
    Last edited by jamesmc; 08 July 2006 at 07:29 AM.
    IP

Thanks Jamesmc, but I didn't quite get the "ingredients" for that capture.

I want to make a live record, not to spend hours in adjusting each layer.
    I know I can import an avi file and export it as flv. But I just want a simple program that will record a small size movie. I know it's possible as I've seen it on websites
    IP

http://www.xara.com/products/xtreme/

This is a link to Xara New demo of integration between Xara Xtreme and Xara 3D 6.

The video lasts for 7:58 minutes and it only takes 6.4MBytes !!!!! They use Camtasia studio.

How do they keep their files so small with such a good quality?
    IP