Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Battle Tank

Default Re: Battle Tank

Hi Frank,
    I appreciate that X3D is not in the same league as a dedicated 3D applications, simply being that it was never meant to be.
    I just want to know if someone like myself would find a transition to using such applications easy with my X3D know-how. I downloaded Bryce a few months ago, as I do have desires to attempt serious 3D but fear of having to spend long hours just learning the basics has prevented my opening the program since I first looked at it.
    I never suggested comparing X3d with these applications but I only wanted to know more from someone like yourself, who is familiar with both.

Anas

Salaam, I for one do NOT want you nor simsmj to go to any other 3D app. It will only mean that you'll neglect to keep showing us new ways to push Xara3D to its limits. You just stay where you are and be satisfied. Please...........................
    -=Bob=-

Thanks for the encouragement Bob,
    I just need to make a balance between fun and practical, although I don't know why Mike hasn't succumbed yet.

Anas

Like BF said, you can do much much more with a full fledged 3d program. Maybe that's why I've been egging Mike Sims to take the plunge into 3d programs. Wings and Blender are very powerful, and free. You people have the creativity for it. And pictures like these clearly shows your problem solving capabilities. I mean, X3D is a great tool, but it was designed for 3d text and logos, and these are beyond those.
    But yes, that would probably distract you from X3D. I know 3d distracted me from my 2d graphics. And you can only have so many hours in a day...
    Last edited by Grafixman; 17 November 2006 at 12:30 AM.

For being crafted within X3d, this tank is fantastic... anybody with such patience and skill could do just about anything in any grafx app... I would suppose it would depend on what you intend to do with the models would determine which app would be best to work with..

Salaam, the biggest problem with many 3D apps is that they all have their own very unique user interface. Do some research about the capabilities of the various available apps and thei minimu requirements (they can use a heavy load) and then stick to one or one pair of apps. Any more than that and you will get very frustrated.

However, somebody with your persistence and imagination will absolutely LOVE playing with a true 3D app so get yourself down there, roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty in the very real and very exciting world of 3D rendering. As somebody else has already said, you'll need a lot of hours in the day, but the results can be truly mind boggling. Just go through some of the postings in our own TG 3D forum to see where it can take you.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks lads,
    I am still a bit reluctant as I still have no idea as to how they work. If it takes me too long to get any adequate results, using an application, then I will leave it. SWiSHMAX and Games Editor were a bit 'touch an go' but I wouldn't want to go through that again.

Anas

Further on the subject of big boy modeling and 3D...

for the modeling part of things... Wings3D is the ultimate set of subd like modeling tools if you are ok with hotkeys, or enjoy torture through slideout menu's , but for free there is nothing close for subd like modeling

for a paltry hundred and change, Silo3D is da goods... manip handles, hotkeys, subd in isoview, paint on geom... the list goes on....

and between the two of these apps, theres pretty much nothing that cannot be realized via modeling...

When it comes to texturing, lighting, animation etc... well that's another story... not nearly as clear winners in this full app dept of things...

I would suppose that in my opinion the best all around app for the serious hobbiest is C4D, as it has good modeling tools in case you need some quick fixes and don't want to bounce back and forth between modeling app and scene building app... it has quick rendering, and many bells and whistles... just comes with bigger like price tag is all

This said, I am still very comfy using my trusty ole Carrara Studio 2 for most things render related, and enjoy playing around with Blender once in a while...

If you are entertaining the thoughts of going pro, then xsi, 3dsm, and or maya will be the one's to look towards...

and if zbrush 2.5 ever gets finished, then it will be another one of those must have apps, as the ZSheres will now be able to act as bones to attach to most any imported mesh... great for morph targeting... in the mean time...

whispers... wings3d.....

Quote Originally Posted by gidgit View Post
    subd like modeling tools... slideout menu's... manip handles, subd in isoview, paint on geom... modeling... quick rendering.. bones to attach to most any imported mesh... great for morph targeting...
    What was that about?
    I just hope that Xara update X3D to a low end graphics application.

Anas

Quote Originally Posted by salaam View Post
    I just hope that Xara update X3D to a low end graphics application.
    Only if they're crazy. They need their resources for other things. There's incredibly strong competition in the 3D field a Xara3D is a very long way from being a true 3D contender. The tank is amazing for Xara3D.

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 20 November 2006 at 02:36 PM.