Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Battle Tank

Default Re: Battle Tank

Thanks Mike,
    Very strange...
    I just set up X3D to implement your suggestions and the first set of rivets went down to 'extrusion' depth 1. This is what I wanted from the beginning but this is the first time it has done what I set it to do. Now the other side won't do what it's told. I closed X3D and tried again to no avail.

Please don't sit back, even if I already know something, there will always be someone who doesn't.

Anas

Excellent Tank, Anas.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks simsmj and Egg. Wonderful stuff...

That tank is absolutely incredible.

Danny

I love your tank! You have done a simply suberb job there! Well done! Now see if you can map some decals onto it, maybe some mud splashes etc
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Thanks Frank,
    I did try to camouflage it but had problems as you are only able to transfer textures from one axis. The other axis (if used) displays lines from the original texture, which sometimes makes it look strange. So in the end I gave up.

Anas

I think you have persevered where most people (myself included) would have given up. I disagree with you that this is more fun than a dedicated 3D app. What was fun for you, pushing X3D to its absolute limits, would not be fun for me - I'd have been on TrueSpace from the outset, and have a far more realistic image in the same time it took you to create yours (but I appreciate that wasn't your point). For me it's the image that counts, not the journey. But vive la diférence, kudos to you for, in my book, a stunning job nevertheless - you pushed boundaries I didn't know existed.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Wonderful work.
    Good to see the Mike Sims is not alone in pushing the boundaries of this program.
    I feel the same way as you on the fun part. Often I make graphics more for the problem solving challenge rather than the final pic. Trying to figure out solutions and workarounds on how to make things with the tools you have is a good distraction which occupies my idle moments.

Thanks guys,
    How long would this tank take to do on TrueSpace Frank and how does it differ from X3D in creating pieces?

Anas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camo-tank2.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	32173  

Quote Originally Posted by salaam View Post
    Thanks guys,
    How long would this tank take to do on TrueSpace Frank and how does it differ from X3D in creating pieces?
    I wouldn't create your tank in Truespace - your tank is a masterpiece of what you can achieve in X3D, but it looks like a child's toy tank. Were it me I would create a WWII German Tiger tank with realistic theatre camouflage and markings:

http://www.3-d-models.com/3d-model_files/t2.jpg

(picture courtesy of http://www.3-d-models.com)

Salaam, X3D is a crude hammer and chisel compared to the likes of Rhino, Truespace, Bryce, Maya inter alia. Let's not pretend any different. X3D excels at things they do not, like creating off-the-peg animations in a minimum of strokes but we're not comparing like for like so let's just not go there as it's a futile argument. Try placing your tank on a realistic surface, a veritable landscape, and having it cast shadows, both on that surface and on the objects around it, have its texture interact with the environment and light conditions. You can't do that in X3D, and that's just touching the surface of what you can do in a dedicated high-end 3D app. It's not a fair comparison.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.