Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara X1 100% CPU with Fonts Gallery

When opening the fonts gallery in Xara X1 i get 100% CPU usage until i close the fonts gallery, is this a known issue?

The other galleries pull 100% CPU when opened but settle down after 1 or 2 seconds, but the fonts gallery pulls 100% CPU constantly.
    I've got 576 fonts installed

System Info:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.00Ghz
    2GB RAM
    2 x 120GB HD
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Default Re: Xara X1 100% CPU with Fonts Gallery

Coldfuel,

Just tested it on my computer and I have no problem, just a brief rise in cpu activity and then it flatlines. I can't remember anyone having this problen before. Try doing a search on "cpu".
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi,

I can confirm this (X1). I have around 70 fonts installed, I believe.
    After opening the font gallery, the CPU load was initially not high. But after I scrolled down to the last font, the CPU load became 99% and stayed at that value after I stopped scrolling. Also after I scrolled way up again, it didn't change.
    As you said, other galleries do this too, but the CPU load drops afterwards.

What I find striking is that scrolling other galleries quickly increases the CPU load to 99%, BUT scrolling my drawing (which contains quite a few objects) only goes to 90%. Even after heavily scrolling the drawing, 99% CPU load was not reached.

Alien,

I've just retested this and you're correct. As soon as you scroll the Font Gallery the cpu usage shoots up to 100% and remains there.

One for the Xara team.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Well at least i know it's not just my PC..i'll put those computer brochures away and hope for a fix

Quote Originally Posted by coldfuel
    Well at least i know it's not just my PC..i'll put those computer brochures away and hope for a fix
    The fix has been released: Xara Xtreme. That terrible 100% CPU usage existed for many years in the previous versions, but XX fixed it.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Hi Klaus,
    Long time no see. I was getting confused, but as you say the problem doesn't occur in XaraXtreme.
    Egg

Hmm I got it to do the same thing in Xtreme, but it never caused me any problem and once I shut down the font gallery then the cpu usage goes back down... ?
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

While this problem was greatly reduced in Xtreme, it does still exist. As has been pointed out, the CPU usage should stop if the gallery is closed and reopened. It starts using 100% CPU if you scroll the gallery fast enough so that you scroll items that haven't yet been redrawn (so the thumbnail is just a grey rectangle) out of view. You can also stop it using 100% CPU by slowly (e.g. one "page" at a time) scrolling through the whole list to give it a chance to redraw the items that scrolled out while they were redrawing.

This has been a long standing bug in our database but was reduced in priority after Xtreme as it could be stopped by closing the gallery. It will be fixed at some point but I can't give any indication as to when it might be.

Gerry Iles

Hi Gerry, thanks for clarifying this! In my quickie-tests it seemed it was all fixed in Xtreme, much to my relief.

Hi Egg, yes I am still around, but I mostly only lurk here and very irregularly -- I am spending very little time in XX these days and mostly work in Photoshop and InDesign.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")