Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: File too big

Default File too big

Hi folks,

I had posted in the web design forum before I noticed this flash specific forum, so please forgive me if you already read something similar there.

I am using a flash template. I've been asked by my boss to change a 4KB size flash text that was on the first page (it simply typed out 'Welcome...'), to our company logo. The page then runs into our main front page which has more flash. (http://www.bakerstv.co.uk)

Initially I tried a 3D animated logo created in Xara 3D and exported as 'flash bitmap (*.swf)'. 'flash vector (*.swf) just doesn't seem to work, as it's probably a requirement of the flash template, I guess.

The 3D animation is 287KB at a high resolution, looks great but alas it was much too big, for all but 8Mb broadband users. So I tried lower resolutions and got it to about 150k with still good quality - still too big
    The company logo flash runs into the main page due to the file size.

In the end I decided I would have to turn off the Xara 3D animation (I don't have any other programs which handle flash btw, even Xara only exports it).
    With the animation off I have a 46KB file.

It's currently not so bad (although difficult to judge on my 5Mb connection).
    However, if anyone here in the brains dept. knows of any method to keep the logos quality but reduce its size, I would be most grateful for any advice.

The logo must remain 300 pixels wide x 180 pixels high, or the placement will be off centre and it seems must be in 'flash bitmap (*.swf)' not vector.

Bottom line:
    46KB at the moment.
    Any way to get it smaller still, without losing quality?
    (Can get by without any animation.)

I've attached in zip:
    Flash bitmap .swf
    Xara 3D .X3D
    Xara Xtreme .xar

Thanks so much for your time.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Telovne; 03 November 2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spellcheck
    IP

Default Re: File too big

Hello, perhaps I cannot answer your question regarding the file size right now, but I can share a link HERE (a video tutorial I made), and HERE (Egg's video tutorial) that will shade some light on how to integrate X3D animation with flash. Anyhow, I presume that it depends on the settings.
    IP

I got the animated gif down to 55k.
    Is that enough?

Reducing it to 232 x 142 px brings it down to under 30k

55k image displayed.

The swf version is in the zipfile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logo_anim.gif 
Views:	273 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	31570  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Intbel; 03 November 2006 at 10:13 PM.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.
    IP

Thanks Availor, the tutorial videos are a wonderful help on these graphics forums and I appreciate them very much.
    Thanks Intbel but 55KB would've been too large. I've had some success this evening by messing with the border. I decided to ditch any hope of animation.

Got the file down to 19KB (47K animated) & with a better resolution by removing the xara generated border. Image now comprises of 5 text objects instead of original 3 + border design.

I think 19KB is as good as I'm likely to get with this file type. It's really a 3D extruded image but appears 2D.

Thanks both for your time and efforts.
    Last edited by Telovne; 05 November 2006 at 12:15 AM.
    IP

Anytime
    IP