Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Breaking a point in an open path (weird)

Hi,

Here's something that's weird to me, but I dunno whether it's supposed to do this. I'm using X1.

- Draw a nice curvy open path. (Make sure you can see the whole path in your screen)
    - Using the shape editor, select just one node somewhere in the middle and "Break at point"
    - You'll now see 2 paths with:
    -- One of the 2 nodes selected (which were originally the 1 unbroken node)
    -- Another node at the end of the other path selected too <-- this looks weird to me.
    Why would a node on the end of the other path be selected too when it had nothing to do with the original process of "node breaking"?

BTW, this second selected node of the second path seems to be the corresponding end-node of the first path: i.e. with both paths selected, if you apply an arrowhead to them, you'll notice the arrowhead showing on both selected nodes (or the other end of the paths, depending on the path direction)

I've had this problem a lot of times before where I was zoomed in a drawing and breaking nodes (and deleting some). After zooming out, I noticed a whole different part of my shape was deleted too :\ Frustrating, cause I couldn't pinpoint why nodes were apparently being deleted without me touching them.

I don't know whether Xtreme does this too, I don't know whether this behaviour is normal. But it sure looks weird to me.
    Can anyone explain or confirm it?

Default Re: Breaking a point in an open path (weird)

Xtreme does the same thing; never noticed it before!
    Tony

I also get the same results in Xtreme.

It happens off screen as well if you are zoomed in on the node to be broken.

This is a pain if you want to move what you think is only one node, but actually the other node at the end of the other line also gets moved.

Basically what's happening is that when you 'Break at Point' you change from 1 line to 2 lines. One one line the end point is selected (what was the break node) and on the other, it's end point is also selected. I don't know why it works this way but as far as I can remember it always has. It's just a matter of being aware of the glitch and deselecting both lines and selecting the one line you wish to work with.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    It's just a matter of being aware of the glitch and deselecting both lines and selecting the one line you wish to work with.
    Indeed. I've experienced this before, but never knew how to reproduce it. At least now I know when I can expect this bug.

Still, it would be nice if they could fix this. Like dvector said, this glitch can catch you by surprise, especially when the other node is off the screen.
    Accidentally losing nodes can be very frustrating, especially after you've saved the .xar and thereby cleared the undo list (speaking from my own experience

Alien,
    It's not only deleting the nodes, it's also if you move the nodes. You suddenly end up with a shape you did'nt create.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill
    Alien,
    It's not only deleting the nodes, it's also if you move the nodes. You suddenly end up with a shape you did'nt create.
    Yeah, tested that out just now. I also got some visual artifacts when I moved the nodes =\