Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xtreme "Pro" wishlist

Seems i am not the only one who whishes there was a Xtreme Pro version (an improved XaraX1 if you will) so i thought it would be a good idea to start a wishlist thread in case Xara Ltd finally realizes the need for such a "pro" version

So here are my thoughts, please feel free to add anything i might have forgotten.

Basically my dream Xtreme would be based on the Xara X1 version but including:

- Improved and up to date output/export options from the Xtreme version

- Color profile options, i.e ability to import your own color profiles like isocoated.icc, SWOP, Euroscale, eciRGB etc etc

- Additional Color palettes: Pantone, HKS and the ability to import your own

- Switch button to convert to/from RGB/CMYK instead of having to alter the actual color values to turn to CMYK

- 3D extrusion tools

- PSD export

- Stationary templates *with* crops and bleeds

Here's an option that i have'nt seen in any application so far so it's not really Xtreme specific but it would be great if Xtreme would be the first one to include it:

So far, if you're using shadows within Xara the only option you have converting-wise is "turn to shapes" which actually turns the shadows into a bitmap.

Now, how great would it be if there was an option to turn the shadow automatically into a *vector* shape ?!

Meaning, such an option would replace the drop shadow with a gradient vector shape that was automatically calculated by some Xara algorithm to match the original drop shadow as closely as technically possible.

That would help to have your artwork 100% vector and to avoid mixes of vector and bitmap when desired.

I guess there might be other wishlist items i'm just not thinking of right now, so please add your own to this thread.

Last edited by beatz01; 04 July 2006 at 06:14 PM.

Default Re: Xtreme "Pro" wishlist

Quote Originally Posted by beatz01
    Now, how great would it be if there was an option to turn the shadow automatically into a *vector* shape ?!

Meaning, such an option would replace the drop shadow with a gradient vector shape that was automatically calculated by some Xara algorithm to match the original drop shadow as closely as technically possible.
    You can do that already. Shadow the object, and select Arrange->Convert To Editable Shapes. If you draw (say) an ellipse, you will get two objects which are your ellipse, and a feathered vector path which is represents the shadow.

Alex

Some interesting suggestions. I think Xara has given some thought to a pro level version and I would not be very surprised to see this in the near future.

The idea behind Xtreme was to offer a terrific product at a very affordable price to try to expand the installed user base. To do so, some features had to be left out such as the Pantone libraries which cost a fair amount per unit.

What we used to do to create vector shadows before we had the shadow tool, was to create a blend. It works fine, especially on solid colored backgrounds. Xtreme now treats blends as a single object so you can also apply a stained glass transparency to a blend.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blend-shadow.jpg 
Views:	703 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	27440  

For using Pantone in Xara, you might want to see ZEBtoonz postings in this thread.

Here's an idea from a non-pro, after reading Charles's points and the rebuttal rants in another thread.

Why not simply create two more dropdowns in the color picker dialog? The additional two options would be 'RGB->CMYK color map' and 'HSV->CMYK map'. They would work almost the same way as the current RGB and HSV pickers, except that they would pick the closest CMYK value to the position of the users selection. That would allow much easier selection of CMYK colors IF YOU WANT THE LIMITATIONS imposed upon you by the big packages, but allow you an ease of use way beyond them. These two additions may not be that hard to add.

For what it is worth, I think that Xara is great as it is. I played with some Adobe stuff awhile back, as well as some other graphic programs. In my not-so-humble opinion (having extensive 3d AutoCad experience), Xara kicks their butts from an ease-of-use perspective. When you also take the price into account...

David

[Edit]Thinking about my proposed approach a bit more, there is still the problem of performing blends, and maybe some other effects from CMYK colors while using an RGB engine...[/Edit]
    Last edited by David O'Neil; 05 July 2006 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by abligh
    You can do that already. Shadow the object, and select Arrange->Convert To Editable Shapes. If you draw (say) an ellipse, you will get two objects which are your ellipse, and a feathered vector path which is represents the shadow.

Alex
    Am i missing something here ?

I thought the ->Convert To Editable Shapes would turn the shadow into a bitmap, not vector path.

I know when you click on it after conversion it says "shape" but i'm 99,99% confident it's a bitmap

Hint: try to apply a outline stroke to the "shape" and you'll see it's a rectangular, transparent bitmap.

Someone clear me up please.
    Last edited by beatz01; 05 July 2006 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beatz01
    Am i missing something here ?

I thought the ->Convert To Editable Shapes would turn the shadow into a bitmap, not vector path.

I know when you click on it after conversion it says "shape" but i'm 99,99% confident it's a bitmap

Hint: try to apply a outline stroke to the "shape" and you'll see it's a rectangular, transparent bitmap.

Someone clear me up please.
    You are right. It is a shape filled with a bitmap fill. I wonder why.

Alex

It might well be possible to represent the shadow as a feathered object though there might be problems when shadowing partially transparent objects. E.g. you can fill a path with an alpha channel bitmap, give it an additional transparency attribute (e.g. a linear transparency) and then apply a shadow and the transparent parts of the object should not cast a shadow (and partially transparent bits cast less of a shadow).

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by David O'Neil
    For using Pantone in Xara, you might want to see ZEBtoonz postings in this thread.
    Pretty useless if you are not a canadian or american citizen.
    Membership only applies for these groups.

Here is my wishlist of a earlier thread:

• PDF-Import
    • Multipage support together with an enhanced text engine (paragraph and character styles, tabulators, text wrap, text flow from one textframe to another textframe)
    • Scripting (JavaScript)
    • Export Images in Slices should'nt create HTML code with <table>-tags, but with <div>-tags. Creating Webpages with complex table-layouts is no longer up-to-date.
    • The same point with the button tool.
    • Gradient Mesh Fills
    • Functions to create 3D-effects

Regards,
    Remi

Shadows as vector shapes? Hmmm. You do realize that before there were shadow options people made their own?
    (see attach of bitmap and vector shadows) Vector shadows made by cloning the shape, black fill, reduce transparency and feathered.

Why PSD? Why not add Corel and PSP as well.

3D extrusion can already be done with Xara3D6 and pasted into Xara Xtreme.

I don't do any printing for comercial businesses, so have no opinion on pantones, color bleeds and crops. Why not just program a software spectrographometer (like physical chemistry labs use) for use with graphic software and scanners to get any color you want analyzed in thousands of permutations. (joking of course.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadows.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	27463