Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default using vector based drawings to create a site/logo

Hi,

As you can see I am completely new to this forum. Since a week now I've been playing with the linux version of Xara and another vector based program called Inkscape to create a logo and website for my 'new company'. Before this I tried using Photoshop/the Gimp but I feel using vector based images is a much smoother process. Site design goes much faster allowing for more itterations.

As I don't have many people in my circle of friends with some eye for design I decided to look for some people who do. Any constructive critique would be very welcome. I hope I can give some in return as well if the need ever arrises :-).

The adress is: http://roderikk.nl/42/

It is currently only a mock-up, so don't mind the text and such ;-). Thanks in advance!

Default Re: using vector based drawings to create a site/logo

I quite like it. It has a strong identity and a symmettry. There are problems with some proportions and use of white space to separate the elements - the text is just too close to the graphics elements.

My eye keeps wanting "kanoschool.nl" to line up horizontally with "about".

There's a start!

Paul

Hi,

Thanks for your very informative comment. I really didn't consider the use of whitespaces really well. Would anybody know some good reading/design material I could study to acquaint myself a little with the subject matter?

I have now added some more whitespace and played around with the letterspacing of the headers (the white headers are now a bit closer together so I believe they stand out less). The effect isn't completely to my liking but I would like to recieve some more comments.

Thanks in advance!

I really like the logo..it's simple, yet bold.

Three small points about the site I would make the first one is about centering the the page to suit all screen resolutions. The next would be less of a problem if you did the first is some cell padding to the left of the photos as they are very close to the side of the page. The last point is hardly worth mentioning but in the canoe school picture the surround has a blue background which does not happen on any other the illustrations down that side and would be so easy to change. Really think the logo has worked well. On your point about pointing you to other sites for help I would do a Google search on things that you want to further explore.
    Design is thinking made visual.