Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default centered text on curve - center point

I am new to Xara as of today. I am trying to have text centered on a point on a curve. My problem is that when I click on the curve to start typing the text, the red line does not show up under my mouse pointer. Rather, it shows up somewhere else seemingly random along the curve -- and from trial-and-error I cannot figure out what determines where the red line shows up. What can I do to determine (and see) where the text willl be centered.

Also, when I type text on a curve, the object size grows substantially -- well beyond the visible boundaries of the object. Is this an inescapable product of putting text on a curve? Thanks. -- Igor

Default Re: centered text on curve - center point

Hopefully the following pic helps. Select the curve with text on it, and then select the text tool. The two handles will appear.

I do not understand the last question, and have not had that experience.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TextCenter.gif 
Views:	432 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	27196  

Thanks for the reply. I must be very lost. I had tried using a circle for my curve, but after reading your post I tried an open line curve. Still. the "focus point" for adding the text is always somewhere other than where I click. Also, if I finish the text, clear the selection, select the curve-with-text, and then select the text tool as I I understand your suggestion, those handles do not appear. Instead selecting the text tool merely unselects the object and allows me to add new text.

As for my question about the size of the curve-with-text object growing: If I "zoom to drawing" before the text is added, the curve fills the window; after I add the text and then "zoom to drawing", there is a lot of empty space around the curve and the curve is not centered in the window.

Igor welcome,

Re your second problem: That's an odd bug that happens with the text on a curve sometimes.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Igor
    ...Still. the "focus point" for adding the text is always somewhere other than where I click.
    When I do it, Xara seems to just grab two focus points, and then centers the text about them. I cannot set the center myself until after entering the text.

Also, if I finish the text, clear the selection, select the curve-with-text, and then select the text tool as I I understand your suggestion, those handles do not appear. Instead selecting the text tool merely unselects the object and allows me to add new text.
    You probably did not have the 'centered' attribute for the text. ??? Before initially typing the text, press the centered button. If you just add text, it will add it at the point you selected on the curve. It appears that you already know this, so some confusion exists on my part still???

David

Name:	CenteredButton.gif 
Views:	438 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	27198  

Once you get used to text to path, it can be quite fun to play with. Kind of late here, but here's an effect I created with text to path and blend.

nite, will do better on this topic later. Lot's of undiscovered features with this text to path.

Name:	TEXTPATH.gif 
Views:	454 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	27199  

David -- Thanks. Maybe this screenshot will help explain my situation. -- Igor

Name:	for_xara_curved_text_1-1.jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	27201  

When I do that, I get two nodes that the text is being centered between. Your pic does not show those nodes, but they must be there, as the text is doing the same 'off-location' as I am getting. I cannot see a setting to show those nodes anywhere, so I am going to have to defer to someone with more experience.

Good luck,
    David

Name:	TextCenter1.gif 
Views:	422 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	27202  

Tip: Ignore the text center function, put your text on a new invisible line and drag the text to the right position (see this thread with nearly the same problem).

Remi

Talking Re: centered text on curve - center point

Hello Igor

I have used Xtreme for a long time and I still have many of these probems you mentioned.

Here is what I do.

Create your text and justify it (left, center, right). Select your text and then select your path, and Arrange > Fit Text to Curve. It is quick and it works.

Gary