Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unable to open files

Hi there, neither with the recommended version nor with the actual version of 0.5 am I able to open any of the xar-files in the "Template" and "Examples" directories. A message pops up: "An error occured (file does not exist) when opening the file: Tex" when I want to open the file "Examples/TextCurve.xar" for instance. And in the command line from where I started XaraLX there's the message
    Code:
    (xaralx:30460): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
    flashing by while the pop-up is open. In order to avoid permission problems I set the complete xaralx directory to 777. I have tested the packages "RecomXaraLX0.5_rev1175.tar.bz2" and "xaralx0.5_rev1370.tar.bz2" on Slackware 10.2. Any ideas for me?

Edit: Meanwhile I've tried the autopackage version and even have build XaraLX from source, it's always the same: Can't open files :-(

Cheerz LFB
    Last edited by LFB; 28 June 2006 at 06:51 AM.
    IP

Default Re: Unable to open files

Quote Originally Posted by LFB
    Hi there, neither with the recommended version nor with the actual version of 0.5 am I able to open any of the xar-files in the "Template" and "Examples" directories. A message pops up: "An error occured (file does not exist) when opening the file: Tex" when I want to open the file "Examples/TextCurve.xar" f

Cheerz LFB
    I notice the name of the file is truncated in the error message.

The only thing I can think of is that you have an extremely long directory path to the file concerned. Paths (from memory) are probably limited to 256 characters (they shouldn't be, but that's the way it is). To test this, try copying the file into (say) /tmp, and opening it from mthere.

Alex
    IP

Thanks for your idea, but the directory is already situated in /tmp and I have already tried different ones.

Cheerz LFB
    IP

Exclamation Re: Unable to open files

Hy,

I'm having the same problem with XaraLX and Slackware 10.2 !!!
    IP

Odd.. I run Slack 10.1 at home and 10.2 at work, and XaraLx works fine and can open the files you mention both in the recommended version and pretty much every daily version.

I'm using the autopackage builds as well.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

Exclamation Re: Unable to open files

I was having the same problems (and by chance) also have slackware 10.2

The problem? (simple yet not as obvious) LibSafe!

Slackware comes with (in extra's) libsafe (not sure what other distro's include it or if others even know about it). It is a system wide library protection (against common string overflows and such).

The work around is to exclude this app (and perhaps the help apps too) included w/ this application.

I have only found two apps (this one and TeamSpeak Server RC2) that need an exception

add to /etc/libsafe.exclude
    /usr/bin/xaralx
    (and perhaps other xara helper apps too, the first one got me going)

Hope this helps others (slackers esp like myself) out there and it is good to see other slackers are as paranoid as I am (libsafe).

--Doug

P.S.> I guess this means the underlining GTK / pango (whatever) libraries in an attempt to be UTF-8 are possible exploitable (have poor string buffer checking).
    Last edited by dx9s; 31 August 2006 at 12:16 AM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by dx9s View Post
    I was having the same problems (and by chance) also have slackware 10.2

The problem? (simple yet not as obvious) LibSafe!

Slackware comes with (in extra's) libsafe (not sure what other distro's include it or if others even know about it). It is a system wide library protection (against common string overflows and such).

The work around is to exclude this app (and perhaps the help apps too) included w/ this application.

I have only found two apps (this one and TeamSpeak Server RC2) that need an exception

add to /etc/libsafe.exclude
    /usr/bin/xaralx
    (and perhaps other xara helper apps too, the first one got me going)

Hope this helps others (slackers esp like myself) out there and it is good to see other slackers are as paranoid as I am (libsafe).

--Doug

P.S.> I guess this means the underlining GTK / pango (whatever) libraries in an attempt to be UTF-8 are possible exploitable (have poor string buffer checking).
    Thanks for that. Another odd bug identified...

Alex
    IP