Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im new

Default Im new

Im new to this site and i am trying to gain a career in graphics and i know want to learn more about web design
    has any body got any tips on how to create my own web site? ive tried reading stuff from google regards to html but im confussed????

Default Re: Im new

Hi kelly
    I,m new also. I build web site in flash mostly, but I also use Dreamweaver.
    Both of these programs are extremely easy to use. For a good information resource
    I use www.lynda.com. for a creative resource use www.madisongraphix.com. The templates on my site are from the webs top designers. great for inspiration. Good luck.
    "Life is at it's best when it's shaken and stirred.(F.Paul Facault).

Hi Kelly,
    hi 2-Cents,

Web design is a wide, but very interesting area. As a webdesigner you need skills in HTML, JavaScript and Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).

Flash is another interesting technology to create 2D-animations, but it is more important to understand the Web design basics (HTML, JavaScript, CSS) first.

There are a lot of useful tutorials on the web and there are tons of books about Web design available. I know some good books, but most of them are in german. But you'll find a lot of books at your local book store, at amazon.com or at your local library.

If you're firm with HTML, JavaScript and CSS, you know what kind of work you like and which of the following topics are worth to concentrate further on:

• Graphic design with graphic editors like Xara Xtreme
    • Web accessibility or Usability studies
    • 2D-Animations or Onlinegames with Flash
    • Serverside programming with programming languages like PHP, Java, Python, Perl, ASP, ...
    • Clientside programming with programming languages like JavaScript to create Dynamic Websites and modern AJAX-Applications or ActionScript to create Flash-Applications
    • Content Management Systems (CMS) like Typo3 to handle big websites and Weblog systems like WordPress or Textpattern
    • basic Skills for Webadministration tasks (Webserver, Proxyserver, Firewalls, ...)
    • Project-Management to manage website projects

SELFHTML is a popular introduction to web authoring. Another good starting point to learn basic HTML and CSS together with some useful links is the Wiki Book about Web Design.

Enjoy your first steps
    Remi

Most people use a Site building or HTML editor like deamweaver, golive or fusion, they are so many, however there are a few people who directly edit and produce page in note pad which is fantastic if your knowledge og html code goes that far. Most people pick a programme and learn to assemble their pages that way up and into a site. My recommendation wouuld be to try out editors orr programmes from these computer mag discs or download them and get the one that you feel comfortable with and learn that programme through the web or my preference by buying a book.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Joomla is great to use though the positioning of objects can be tricky. It is what my site is using, www.graphic-bank.com, which is not far off on of the original themes in the package.

Gallery 2 is also a great image handler, and you can embed that into joomla or whatever you chose to use. See http://gallery.menalto.com/

Goodluck

Shane
    Webmaster for www.graphic-bank.com

You can try a wysiwyg web builder, they're easy to use..just drag and drop your images and text, etc. Then you can click and see the html code, to familiarize yourself with what the code does and how it works. There are links to the best ones here

Hope that helps you out.
    Last edited by RTK; 14 September 2006 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Removed URL

FYI: The contents of the website in the previous post were discussed in another thread in detail. I wouldn't recommend this site.

remi,

Thanks for bringing attention to the url - I missed that one.

As for the thread that remi pointed too - the original (and tons more) content and articles can be found in his and my later posts.

Risto

I have developed websites and hosted websites for quite a few years now, the methods I use are complicated for newbies and the amount of diversities in web design are so demanding I would recommend you learn one at a time.

Graphic Design does come as part and parcel of web design and indeed is beneficial to know both of these, although other aspects like javascript, vbscript, flash, php, asp, java, css to name a few aren't necessary to produce excellent web pages.

I would recommend you concentrate on graphic design and html to start with and dreamweaver is an excellent way to start as a newbie and has a very excellent tutorial to help you start.

Hope this helps

Regards Roger

Quote Originally Posted by scoobywow View Post
    although other aspects like javascript, vbscript, flash, php, asp, java, css to name a few aren't necessary to produce excellent web pages.
    I disagree. It's really necessary to know CSS and JavaScript also, to develop good web sites (I don't talk about excellent web sites - in order to recieve this honor, you need much more).

Perhaps, the beginners don't need to know PHP or ASP, Flash or Java, but without CSS or JavaScript the results can't become professional ones.

Remi