Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hello People

2D isometric (and is variants) illustration is my favourite type of graphics project.

Some of the regulars may remember last year I worked out how to create basic isometric illustrations using a few scripts I worked out in CorelDRAW along with a relatively simple way of doing parallel extrudes for any given angle and and depth. This was a problem I had been working on for several years on and off.

Whilst the technique worked it did have limitations and was not particularly refined.

Since then someone has produced a tool for CorelDRAW (7 or greater) that is simply brilliant, not only does it encompass all my previous techniques using correct mathematics as its base, it also overcomes some fundamental limitations to basic isometric illustrations.

I have attached an Acrobat PDF to this message to illustrate what I mean.

The mechanical part does not exist (I'm no designer as the drawing shows :-) ) it was created to show what can happen to such a part (hiding important detail) when projected into isometric space and how this tool can overcome it.

The first isometric illustration shows what I was able to achieve using my crude (by comparison) techniques.

The second and third illustrations show what is possible using this new tool, by revealing previously hidden detail.

Now I don't want to be accused of unnecessary advertising so I won't reveal anymore details, however if anyone is interested in this topic or the tool (which is available for download as 'trial' ware) I will be happy to email the details or continue the discussion in this forum.

I just wanted to hi-light why CorelDraw is my favourite illustration software for the kind of work I do, I don't believe there is another illustration package that is capable of achieving these effects at the price.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Hello People

2D isometric (and is variants) illustration is my favourite type of graphics project.

Some of the regulars may remember last year I worked out how to create basic isometric illustrations using a few scripts I worked out in CorelDRAW along with a relatively simple way of doing parallel extrudes for any given angle and and depth. This was a problem I had been working on for several years on and off.

Whilst the technique worked it did have limitations and was not particularly refined.

Since then someone has produced a tool for CorelDRAW (7 or greater) that is simply brilliant, not only does it encompass all my previous techniques using correct mathematics as its base, it also overcomes some fundamental limitations to basic isometric illustrations.

I have attached an Acrobat PDF to this message to illustrate what I mean.

The mechanical part does not exist (I'm no designer as the drawing shows :-) ) it was created to show what can happen to such a part (hiding important detail) when projected into isometric space and how this tool can overcome it.

The first isometric illustration shows what I was able to achieve using my crude (by comparison) techniques.

The second and third illustrations show what is possible using this new tool, by revealing previously hidden detail.

Now I don't want to be accused of unnecessary advertising so I won't reveal anymore details, however if anyone is interested in this topic or the tool (which is available for download as 'trial' ware) I will be happy to email the details or continue the discussion in this forum.

I just wanted to hi-light why CorelDraw is my favourite illustration software for the kind of work I do, I don't believe there is another illustration package that is capable of achieving these effects at the price.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt
    IP

Don't overlook the Isometric Site on i/us, which contains many tutorials, and provides a variety of isometric addons for CorelDRAW.

The Isometric Site

<blockquote>
    <font color=green>Chris Dickman</font>
    http://www.i-us.com/images/sig.gif
    </blockquote>
    IP

Hi Peter...

Chris is right. I've accessed the ISOMETRIC SITE on many occasions and have found it to be very helpful.

I probably do more perspective drawings than ISOs these days, which in itself, has it's moments. Most of my technical drawings are orthographic in nature for the U.S. Patent Office.

BUT, I definitely will download your PDF and see what's happening there. Thanks for taking the time to share it!

Have a good one,

Gary G.
    IP