Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Where is the Portable C Xara Rendering Library?

I am looking at vector libraries for the nekovm,
    which is written in C.

On http://www.xaraxtreme.org/about/performance.html
    the page mentions a c version of the renderer, CDraw;

"Vector rendering engine performance
    These tests were using the platform portable C version of the Xara rendering engine. Tests performed on identical bezier shapes on the same machine calling the rendering engines directly."

Can I obtain this library?? or If it hasnt been published, when will it be published?

Thank-you for your time
    Last edited by spasmFace; 14 June 2006 at 05:36 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Where is the Portable C Xara Rendering Library?

Not all the source code for Xara Xtreme has been released yet. It's a staged process. Most of the source code has been released under GPL, but this particular part, CDraw, has not been yet.

The entire project is something like a million lines of code and our priority is on making a usable slick drawing program for Linux. This means we're focussing on 'things that don't work' that need work adapting to Linux. So right now CDraw is not a focus for us.

As we get closer to completing a "1.0" version of Xara LX we'll get to releasing the CDraw source code. We hope this will happen within the next few months.
    IP

Lightbulb Re: Where is the Portable C Xara Rendering Library?

So ..it's true.

In a day Cdraw will touch the Linux kernel. l imagine the benefit of all major Linux apps. ( OpenOffice, Gnumeric, Gimp, ..etc ). using the same vector core.

Great ( and long awaited ) news.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by SorinN
    In a day Cdraw will touch the Linux kernel. ...
    Where did you get that from? Charles Moir has said this:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Moir
    This means we're focussing on 'things that don't work' that need work adapting to Linux.
    Says adapting to Linux, not adapting Linux kernel to CDraw.
    If I have missed a post that says changes to the Linux kernel are required, then, please, forgive me my ignorance and post a link to it
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Slapo
    Where did you get that from? Charles Moir has said this:

Says adapting to Linux, not adapting Linux kernel to CDraw.
    If I have missed a post that says changes to the Linux kernel are required, then, please, forgive me my ignorance and post a link to it
    We don't need the rendering engine anywhere near the Linux kernel. It's currently a library anyone can use (in binary format). The plan is merely that the source is released. I very much doubt anyone will want it in the kernel (no other graphics engine is in the kernel and you don't lose anything by having it in userspace - see X, gtk etc etc.), but as the plan is to GPL it, it would be license compatible. However, we do hope it will make standard distributions.

Alex
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by abligh View Post
    We don't need the rendering engine anywhere near the Linux kernel. It's currently a library anyone can use (in binary format). The plan is merely that the source is released. I very much doubt anyone will want it in the kernel (no other graphics engine is in the kernel and you don't lose anything by having it in userspace - see X, gtk etc etc.), but as the plan is to GPL it, it would be license compatible. However, we do hope it will make standard distributions.

Alex
    Is there any possibility of using Cdraw to write a super-fast GTK engine? I am no developer but from what I understand the engines can do the drawing with different systems (GDK, Cairo...)

Does Cdraw use any 3d graphics acceleration, (like Glitz does for Cairo?)
    IP

And one thing I would still like to know is: why can't you release CDraw now?
    IP

Because they are bussy right now, as they tould manny times on forums.

To release CDraw libraries is not just to put them on the net, also this work mean to write a lot of technical documentation / HowTo's / specifications for other developers. That is the professional way.

Also as in all software companies - here is a roadmap too, with punctual obectives / priorities. Will be a time for CDraw.

I am interested too, but I have patience and I dont like to stress peoples.
    IP