Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rounded Corners

Default Re: Rounded Corners

There still is a "strange" behvior in the current version. If I draw a rectangle, push the "rounded corner" option everything works okey. But if I draw a rectangle AND change the dimensions and use the curve option the rounded corner gets allredy disstorted. I testd this only on linux so, couldnt doublecheck . . ... seams not a logical behavoir . . . ..
    IP

Same on Windows.

What seems to happen is that the curve is applied to the rectangle as you originally drew it, then the change in dimensions is applied to that, thereby distorting it. Yes, it's pretty annoying, but others have already explained how to work around it. AFAIK it's always been this way from the very first version.

Paul
    IP

I need to compare with another program, sory xara team, well, Corel Draw has the same problem, it's seems that when you deform a shape you don't loose the original form, it's just showed distorted on the screen. I way to solve that is actualy change the shape structure and make the rounded edges based on circles (logical hum) whith a variable width, the Corel aplication work it in a interesting way, it make all the 4 corners of the shape editable and each one may take a circle with a diferent width making a cool effect.
    IP

Even more bizarrely, if you just draw a rectangle (with no rounded corners), then distort it (change a short fat rectangle into a tall thin one for instance), THEN add the rounded corners, the corners are distorted. You'd think when the corners are added they'd be at a sensible aspect ratio...

Alex
    IP

Alex,

The quickshapes are defined in a square orthogonal coordinate space then tranformed into the drawing so that complex shapes like stars with recurved edges (and rounded corners) can be plotted easily.

Rectangles are just special cases of quickshapes and inherit some of their behaviour.

(Didn't you invent the data structure for quickshapes?)

Phil
    IP

If you are familiar with SolidWorks, I think what some users here are requesting is called "parametric behavior".

The regulars on the Xara X forums are famous for their work-arounds, but this is the Xara LX forum! This is where I hope we expand/streamline Xara, not work-around.

What lacks here is the ability to deform a rectangle with rounded corners, and still be able to retain the fillet radius, or even modify the fillet radius after the deformation!

SolidWorks is a master at this, but I would only recommend seeking inspiration from it for the feature set, because there is not much to be gained from looking at the UI implementation.

With this said, I'd like to side with the users who wants an option to prevent the deformation of the fillet (rounded corners) when the rectangle is deformed.

Actually, it is the same with rotations of simple objects, and I have mentioned this before: Rotate anything by X degrees and after the next transformation/deformation, the X value is lost forever. It shouldn't be. It should be parametric so you can keep track of your modifications! (Same with scale, for that matter...)
    Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by eobet
    The regulars on the Xara X forums are famous for their work-arounds, but this is the Xara LX forum! This is where I hope we expand/streamline Xara, not work-around.
    jep, cause workaround are mostly limmited/anoying. Also I think it is important to whatch other software (inkscape, illustartor, corel) how they doing things than rater say "this is xara.. not *"

What I'm missing right now is the ability (I just started with xara, I'm illustrator and Inkscape user) to write my expirience somwhere, for example in a wiki. So this could be the "meetingpoint" for all xara issues and gives the programmers a overview.. .. ..
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by noskule
    the "meetingpoint" for all xara issues and gives the programmers a overview.. .. ..
    Lets stick with the Xara forums, they already do what you are suggesting.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM
    Alex,

The quickshapes are defined in a square orthogonal coordinate space then tranformed into the drawing so that complex shapes like stars with recurved edges (and rounded corners) can be plotted easily.

Rectangles are just special cases of quickshapes and inherit some of their behaviour.

(Didn't you invent the data structure for quickshapes?)

Phil
    Urrrm, yes, but that doesn't mean they or their implementation are perfect! I think probably what is needed is something which removes the non-linear aspect of the scale component from the current transformation matrix and applies that instead to the underlying rectangle. This could be done (for instance) on adding the rounded corners, so toggling the button to remove them and re-add them would add them back "normally". I think it's doable in mathematical terms, just requires an implementation...
    IP

I'm not sure toggling the button would be good - because toggling usually implies back and forth to where they just started from.

However I think it would be preferable to make it so that rounded corners always remains rounded no matter how you squash or stretch the rectangle. If they really want to stretch the rounded corners as well, then Convert to Shapes first.
    IP