Default Re: Assigning Actions Withing a MovieClip

Quote Originally Posted by Availor
    I suppose you can do a different one:
    on ClipEvent (enterFrame) {
    with (_root) {
    gotoAndStop ("instance")
    }
    }
    For this to work, you'll need a button on every nested MovieClip, with individual "instance" labels on every frame of the main timeline. It's a poorer solution to the problem than:

on (release) {
    nextFrame();
    }

because you can use this with a button on the main timeline, you only need one button, and you don't need frame labels, nor do you need multiple buttons.

You're original request was "Is it possible to create an action withing a movie clip that, when it reaches it's final frame will play another the next frame withing the scene, OUTSIDE the movie clip?", but now we're using buttons.

What exactly are you (we) trying to achieve?

Paul
    IP

What exactly are you (we) trying to achieve?
    pauland, I'm making my portfolio website while learning actionscript and css.
    I wanted to achieve the task by creating several frames on the main scene while each will contain a movie clip. For example: frame 1 will be introduction. When you press "Play movie" button it will "loadMovie" - my welcome movie. If you go to portfolio you will be taken to frame 2 in the main scene, where again, if you want to browse the portfolio work - it is made from a movie clip. Since I want my site to contain many sub windows as a complex navigation I decided to achieve this by using movie clips. Thus a gallery is a movie clip made of other movie clips. So if I want to change the contend of my Gallery I only need to delete the frames that contain that content. I find it much easier to replace content than browsing through frames. I don't want my main scene to contain 700 frames I will get lost in all this information.

For example: I don't create different button: I create ONE button which has transparent fill, so you can "wear" it over different content. This way you can let the user change skins.

I can send you several files I made if you like.
    IP

Thanks Availor - so we are making a web site. I was getting confused because the first question in the thread wasn't about that at all!
    IP

Well, that question was leading to something I needed for creating a website... it's a chain of actions
    IP

I agree with Paul, Availor, you keep moving the goal posts.

I would go about this in the following manner.

Create a fla file called 'index', containing your Headers & Nav buttons only.

Create a fla called 'intro' with the intro text.

Create a fla called 'portfolio' with your portfolio.

Continue creating as man fla's as you require.

Now reopen index.fla.

In the button action for introduction button place the following code:

on (release) {
    loadMovieNum('intro.swf',10);
    }
    In the button action for the portfolio button place the following code:

on (release) {
    loadMovieNum('portfolio.swf',10);
    }
    In the button action for any other button place the following code:

on (release) {
    loadMovieNum('whatever.swf',10);
    }
    index.swf is loaded into level0, so remains visible all the time whilst each press of a button loads a new swf into level10.

This way you dealing with individual fla files for each section and not having to dig down into movieClips. It's also very easy to make alterations by doing as SaveAs (Example: Open portfolio.fla and save as portfolio2.fla and do any changes. Now in index.fla just change the portfolio button action to
    loadMovieNum('portfolio2.swf',10);
    You've then got a back up should you make a colosal mess of things.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 22 June 2006 at 07:20 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Thanks Egg,

I know I get blabberish and do not follow the topic, that's my bad.. Always has been and will probably will remain like this

Using Loaded MC is something I am using already. I wanted to find a different technique.

Besides, in complex animation introduction and files integration I think it causes a problem since loading an external file causes the client browser to redownload the file. So if the file is large it will always take time to redownload it.

With the help of you guys and while reading the "action script bible" I've figured this out. So this problem is solved for me. There are many more things I am trying to do.

The thing is that I'm always trying to do things my way. Once I achieve my goal I may settle on an alternative.

I purchased several video tutorials from cartoonsmart.com. If I had the money I'd buy the learning kit from learnflash.com but it's very expensive.
    IP

Availor,

As long as you've got it working, no problem.

Besides, in complex animation introduction and files integration I think it causes a problem since loading an external file causes the client browser to redownload the file. So if the file is large it will always take time to redownload it.
    I don't necessarily agree with this statement. Using your method:
    1: Every part of your site must be loaded whether it's viewed or not.
    2: It's loaded sequentially along the time line, so not everything is available until the last frame is loaded.
    3: Movie Clips only run once there completely loaded, which is not the case with swf's.

What file intergration do you require?

Just an observation.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Well, According to Justin from CartoonSmart.com (I puchased his web design videos) let's say you've got a website with 70 frames in it. The first 20 frames is introduction.
    It will play while loading the other 30 frames.

If I have a site with 100 frames for example, and the site contains a welcome text or something in the first frame, then basicaly, while the user will be reading my welcome text on the first frame the rest of them will load, so when he will switch to the other frames they will be already loaded.

If I understood correctly, the site will show up even if not all the frames are loaded, like a movie.

If I use load/unload Movie then a 1mb file will have to redownload itself.
    I do use loadMovie and loadVariables for text. Some say (in learnFlash.com) that it's better to have a one-frame site, like you said.

I will post the file the minute I'm done working on my file.
    IP

http://www.webwasp.co.uk/tutorials/a...e/tutorial.php

I found this to explain the use of loadMovie or many frames movie.
    The only thing that is questionable: When someone uses a loadMovie, should he unload it later on, or keep it loaded and load another one on top of it instead?
    IP