Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not my horse, but my first attempt at drawing a horse. Took me parts of three days. There are definitely some details I need to work out concerning how to get the right effect on hair, eyes, and some other finer details. But I'm reasonably satisfied with this first attempt...
    ron
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarterhorse.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	6505  
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Not my horse, but my first attempt at drawing a horse. Took me parts of three days. There are definitely some details I need to work out concerning how to get the right effect on hair, eyes, and some other finer details. But I'm reasonably satisfied with this first attempt...
    ron
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

WOW!! There are a couple of areas on the main body but the head is perfect.

update: Yup, that's what it is, the head is fine and the body is fine but the neck is almost not there. I think this may have been taken from a photo with the horses with it's head lowered. I have tried to create a neck for the beauty below. It's really not a good example but I think the proportions are a bit better.

I used to train horses a million years ago, so it's been a while since I've drawn one. I tried to find a good example on the web but I'm too tired to surf too much tonight, long day............

Overall it's a downright awesome first horse drawing Ron!! You are a very talented artist!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horseneck.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	11004  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Nice pony there, Ron! Good job on the shiny parts of the body. The head is top-notch, as Richard said.

Cool!

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hi Ron,

Nice job on the horse. Is it just me, but I think the horse and neck are not proprtionate to the body. Anybody out there with more experience with horses that can tell us if the head and neck are proportionate?
    John/DOT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>JohnR: Is it just me, but I think the horse and neck are not proprtionate to the body. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    --- It's just you...

Nah... Ron, JohnR has a point. I think it's that strong highlight under the mane (sp?) that makes the head look a bit misplaced?

Hi Ron ... Great first attempt. Horses are tricky ... that's why I don't draw them

Your use of color and shading is wonderful. The problem with proportion could just be the photo you started with. You might try one shot at a slightly different angle ... more profile.

Just a thought.

Hi Ron,

Very nice work on the colouring and highlights. The neck is short and the head is small in relation to the body. The nose would be a little more broad as well as the chest.

I'm with Ed on the fact horses are difficult to draw. I've tried and can't get them correctly proportioned.

You've done a great job, much better than I've ever accomplished.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ron

Really Nice work! The highlights are especially good. Very brave to take on a horse – I don’t go near them, or water. A few changes and she’ll be first class!

Steve

Great work! Very powerful painting with incredible highlighting.
    About seeming non-proportional view. Cart-horses looks just so: big powerly body and not great head.
    I very like your picture.